Fitting characters of a font size in a cell width

  1. #1
    Neal Zimm
    Guest

    Fitting characters of a font size in a cell width

    In my application, printing a route delivery 'book', I form character
    strings made up of numerals, special characters such as parentheses and
    brackets, and uppercase letter text in Arial font, size 20. (I would rather
    NOT use a non proportional font such as Courier). The font size IS needed
    for readability. The strings can range from 4 to 20 or 30 characters.

    It's important that the entire string shows and is not 'view truncated' by
    the contents of the cell to the right of the one holding the string. Is there
    some table to look up character widths, or some other method by which I can
    calculate the 'width' of the character string to compare it to the column
    width which is 27. I can break up the character string if it's too long and
    put some of it in the next row.
    (the default font for the worksheet is Arial, size 10.)

    Visual inspection of the affected cells , after the fact, is not really
    feasible. I am looking for a way to calculate the width of the string, and
    then use from 1 to ??
    rows to hold what has to be read by the delivery staff.

    Thanks,
    Neal Z

    --
    Neal Z

  2. #2
    Alan
    Guest

    Re: Fitting characters of a font size in a cell width

    "Neal Zimm" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > In my application, printing a route delivery 'book', I form

    character
    > strings made up of numerals, special characters such as parentheses
    > and brackets, and uppercase letter text in Arial font, size 20. (I
    > would rather NOT use a non proportional font such as Courier). The
    > font size IS needed for readability. The strings can range from 4

    > 20 or 30 characters.
    >
    > It's important that the entire string shows and is not 'view
    > truncated' by the contents of the cell to the right of the one
    > holding the string. Is there some table to look up character widths,
    > or some other method by which I can calculate the 'width' of the
    > character string to compare it to the column width which is 27. I
    > can break up the character string if it's too long and put some of

    it
    > in the next row. (the default font for the worksheet is Arial, size
    > 10.)
    >
    > Visual inspection of the affected cells , after the fact, is not
    > really feasible. I am looking for a way to calculate the width of

    the
    > string, and then use from 1 to ??
    > rows to hold what has to be read by the delivery staff.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Neal Z

    Hi Neal,

    I may be missing something here, but why not just use the:

    Edit - Fill - Justify

    functionality?

    If you need to do it in VBA, then something like:

    Range("A1:A10").justify

    HTH,

    Alan.

  3. #3
    Neal Zimm
    Guest

    Re: Fitting characters of a font size in a cell width

    I'll try it, but I was not complete in my explanation. A row in the book has
    only 3 columns, each with a width of 27. Each column has a specific meaning
    and usually 1 row is enough to hold the needed info. The oddball, tho
    important, situation is where more than one row is needed to hold the data,
    which must remain at font size 20 for easy readability. I'll try your
    solution. Thanks.

    --
    Neal Z

  4. #4
    NickHK
    Guest

    Re: Fitting characters of a font size in a cell width

    Neal,
    Can you not WrapText and make the row taller ?

    NickHK

  5. #5
    Neal Zimm
    Guest

    Re: Fitting characters of a font size in a cell width

    Not really. The route books are used in the middle of the night in a
    semi-dark car.
    The 'look' has to be consistant. I know I'm getting kind of nit-picky here,
    but I may have to settle for a standard mix of characters, and if the count
    is more than 12 or 13, split the text into different rows.
    --
    Neal Z