Alt-Tab works differently if Form called from Menu or Buttonbar Icon

  1. #1
    seisman
    Guest

    Alt-Tab works differently if Form called from Menu or Buttonbar Icon

    If you use the OnAction property of a Menu control to call a routine
    that Shows a Form then use Alt-Tab to move between running programs the
    Form and all of the Excel window and are visible when you return to
    Excel. If you call the same routine from an Icon on a button bar only
    the Form is visible when you get back to Excel, the Excel window is not
    visible and the form appears in front of the last program window
    visited. Can any one explain this? Is there a way of preventing it?
    Seiscons

  2. #2
    keepITcool
    Guest

    Re: Alt-Tab works differently if Form called from Menu or Buttonbar Icon

    to get back to excel... try following
    on error needed to handle both modal and modeless forms...

    Private Sub CommandButton2_Click()
    On Error Resume Next

    AppActivate Application.Caption
    AppActivate Me.Caption
    End Sub

    NOTE: windows has a setting determining if applications
    can "steal focus" (see TweakUI)

    it may not be enough if both excel and the other APP
    are maximized..

    --
    keepITcool

  3. #3
    seisman
    Guest

    Re: Alt-Tab works differently if Form called from Menu or Buttonbar Icon

    Thanks, I'll give it a try but for the situation where this causes me
    the most grief I am using an invisible form; there's nowhere to put the
    button! Anyway I can dispense with the button bar icon in this case
    and use only the menu. I'll have a look at that windows setting too.
    Seisman

  4. #4
    keepITcool
    Guest

    Re: Alt-Tab works differently if Form called from Menu or Buttonbar Icon

    yep saw that post too...

    playing with SetWindowLong ?

    be aware that making a form invisible doesnt make it modal.

    using (generic object) variables to refer to your forms.
    makes it easier to prevent "double loading"

    also:
    ever checked the userforms collection in VBA?

    if you want send me the workbook
    and I'll review the code to see where you "go wrong"

    i'll be signing off soon, but I'll have a look
    ltr tonite.

    --
    keepITcool

  5. #5
    seisman
    Guest

    Re: Alt-Tab works differently if Form called from Menu or Buttonbar Icon

    Thanks.
    The code is in a pretty big Add-in so I strip it out into a simple demo
    workbook to illustrate the problems I'm having. How do I send you the
    file?

    Yes I'm aware that making the form invisible doesnt make it moda.
    I do use generic object variable to refer to my forms.
    No, never checked out the userforms collection; I'll have a look.

    Seisman,

  6. #6
    keepITcool
    Guest

    Re: Alt-Tab works differently if Form called from Menu or Buttonbar Icon

    pls zip and email to address in my sig.
    (just add @ and . around chello)

    --
    keepITcool