specialeffect to command button

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor
    India
    MS-Off Ver

    Question specialeffect to command button

    is it possible to apply special effect to command button?

    or other alternative...

  2. #2
    STEVE BELL
    Guest

    Re: specialeffect to command button

    Need more info....

    What kind of effects?
    How do you want them to work?
    ???????

    --
    steveB

    Remove "AYN" from email to respond
    "ilyaskazi" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Greg Wilson
    Guest

    RE: specialeffect to command button

    I don't believe there is any way to change the appearance of controls either
    from the Forms toolbar or from the Control Toolbox toolbar without at least
    resorting to complex API code. Steve's post seems to imply that he might have
    some ideas however, which has me interested.

    I wrote a utility a while back that replicates the common 3D special
    effects: Raised, Sunken, Etched and Bump. The effects can be applied to
    either worksheet cells or to rectangles. I prefer to create my own command
    buttons from applying the Raised effect to cell(s) and assigning a macro to
    the special effect graphic. The cell text serves as the caption. The command
    buttons thus created look identical to those from the Control Tollbox except
    you have better control over the text; and the caption can, for that matter,
    be a formula and thus change depending on conditions.

    Using the same methodology, I suppose you could create different special
    effects although I can't think of anything effective. You need to be specific
    in what you're trying to achieve.

    Regards,
    Greg

  4. #4
    STEVE BELL
    Guest

    Re: specialeffect to command button

    Greg,

    You're way ahead of me...

    As you pointed out - the secret is in creativity using what already exists
    in Excel.

    With most controls you can work with the different properties such as color
    and font and .....
    Throw in the use of shapes, cells, pictures, etc and you have a wide choice
    of what you can do.

    The trick is figuring out what it is you really want. Most of my projects
    entail a fair amount of time finding out what the user really wants...

    --
    steveB

    Remove "AYN" from email to respond
    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Greg Wilson
    Guest

    Re: specialeffect to command button

    I doubt very much if I'm ahead of you at all Steve. You probably read a
    little too much into my post.

    If you add a Label from the Control Toolbox and format its special effect to
    raised, then sunken, etched etc., and look at it with a 300% zoom, you can
    easily see how they do the graphics. I just replicate this programmatically
    using Autoshapes and group them. One wrinkle is that you have to adjust one
    of the workbook colours to replicate the button colour. I havn't been able to
    do this programmatically since it requires adjustment of Hue, Saturation and
    Luminance and not just RGB. This is easily done manually through
    Tools>Options>Color tab>Modify>Custom tab.

    You can use it to replicate a VB form - i.e. apply the raised effect and
    button colour to a large range of cells and apply the sunken effect to cells
    within the first range to make them appear like text boxes on a user form.
    Use the etched effect for frames. Combine this with EnableSelection =
    xlUnlockedCells, protect the sheet and it acts like a user form. Good for
    making it intuitively obvious where to enter data and you can rely on
    formulae instead of code for much of the operation. A change from the usual
    if nothing else.

    Regards,
    Greg

  6. #6
    STEVE BELL
    Guest

    Re: specialeffect to command button

    Greg,

    I still think you are ahead of me (believe me)

    Working with shapes is a problem for me.

    But you have reinforced my previous comments -
    It's just a matter of thinking "outside the box"...

    My motto is to first figure out what you want and than find a way to make
    Excel do it...
    The list of "can't do" is very small.... and many times you can still find a
    way to get there from here...

  7. #7
    Forum Contributor
    India
    MS-Off Ver

    Exclamation

    hey guys,

    My objects are on userform. I want to apply special effect to command button same as we are able to apply other combo box and radio button from properties.

    is it possible in another form?

    And yes in between you two i am just novice.

    regards,
    ilyaskazi

  8. #8
    STEVE BELL
    Guest

    Re: specialeffect to command button

    There are a number of things you can do with color, font, size, visible,
    position, caption
    by using code to change the properties.

    Just let us know what you are wanting to do...
    We can't give you much help until we know what direction to take...

    P.S.
    And don't worry about being a Novice. We've all been there and
    respect that. This group is a great place to be to get more advanced...

  9. #9
    Forum Contributor
    India
    MS-Off Ver

    Question

    On my userform i want to show my command button effect as flat

  10. #10
    STEVE BELL
    Guest

    Re: specialeffect to command button

    Some controls have properties to control this feature.
    I could not find that property for a command button (Excel 2000)

    Maybe some one else knows how to do this.

    I was able to add a lable and it has a click event.
    You could put a lable on your form and use it as a button
    and it would have a flat appearance...

    Private Sub Label1_Click()
    ' your code here

  11. #11
    Forum Contributor
    India
    MS-Off Ver

    Thumbs up

    nice cheat.. thankyou.

  12. #12
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    After searching around I was unable to find an example of what I'm trying to do and, since it's related to special effects type stuff, I thought I'd add it to this thread.

    My form will have 36 check boxes on it. I have created a custom .gif of the on and off version for it and wanted to use that. Since I can't change the picture of the standard checkbox, I decided to use either a command buttton or image type of control.

    The problem is that I would have to code for each of the 36 individual button/image_click events and that's just not good programming (IMO). So, I'm thinking there should be a way of capturing a click event and then evaluating what caused it. If it was one of my custom "checkboxes", then I could run the appropriate code - which basically sets the tag to true/false and changes the picture.

    Am I just not finding what I'm looking for or is it not possible? I was hoping that if there were a click event and there was no specific sub/function setup to handle that event, it would travel up the chain to the next control - IOW, if I put my image controls in a frame and don't code for the image_click, the frame_click should capture the click event.

    Hope this makes sense.
    Old Programmers Never Die ... They Just Lose Their Bits