How do I replace data from one worksheet with data from another

  1. #1
    MFS
    Guest

    How do I replace data from one worksheet with data from another

    I have a worksheet that has 6000+ rows for inventory control. Each row
    represents a unique SKU. I receive a worksheet via email daily with updated
    Quantity on Hand, and Item Cost, among others, however the new worksheet has
    more rows than the worksheet I am working from. I can boil the existing
    sheet and the updated sheet to the 3 columns I am interested in: SKU, Qty on
    Hand and Item Cost.

    SKU is Column 1, Qty on Hand is Column 2 and Item Cost is Column 3. I
    would like to replace Qty on Hand and Item Cost in the existing worksheet
    with the data from the updated worksheet, but only for the SKUs that exist in
    both.

    I am using Excel 2003.

    Thanks for any direction.

  2. #2
    David Lloyd
    Guest

    Re: How do I replace data from one worksheet with data from another

    One possible alternative is to link the two worksheets into Access and
    construct an update query joining the two worksheets (linked tables).

    I imagine that you could write an Excel macro to do this same update, but it
    would be much more efficient (and easier, in my opinion) to do this in
    Access.

    This is just a suggestion. You may have other reasons why you want to do
    this in Excel.

    --
    David Lloyd
    MCSD .NET

    This response is supplied "as is" without any representations or warranties.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    MFS
    Guest

    Re: How do I replace data from one worksheet with data from anothe

    Thanks for the advice. Since I originally bought the Small Business Edition
    of Office, I did not have Access. Since this is something I am going to need
    to do daily, I went out and got it.