VB backwards compatability

  1. #1
    mike
    Guest

    VB backwards compatability

    How can I determine the backward compatability of my VB code. I've
    tested with Excel 2000 and 2003 but no longer have access to earlier
    versions.

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: VB backwards compatability

    have exhaustive knowledge of the syntax for earlier versions

    or

    test with earlier versions. Either yourself or get someone to do it for you

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    mike
    Guest

    Re: VB backwards compatability

    Thanks for that masterful insight, Tom!

  4. #4
    mike
    Guest

    Re: VB backwards compatability

    Thanks for the masterful insight, Tom.

    If you access the About selection while under the VB Editor, you at
    least are told the version of Visual Basic that is running. From there,
    I'll have to try to find a source that differentiates between these
    versions.

  5. #5
    mike
    Guest

    Re: VB backwards compatability

    Update: I found a very comprehensive answer in a Feb 2003 post. Anyone
    interested in this subject might try searching for the (partial) title
    Excel Version Compatability

  6. #6
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: VB backwards compatability

    Of course, the big message is to develop in the lowest version. However, in
    your original post, you seemed to rule that out - so I suggested the next
    best thing of having someone test it in the earlier version.

    I think you will find the biggest changes are not in VBA5 versus VBA6
    (although there are significant ones), but within the Excel versions
    themselves - especially if you have recorded any of your code. You will
    find many methods have additional arugments recorded which will trip up you
    code executing in earlier versions.

  7. #7
    mike
    Guest

    Re: VB backwards compatability

    Well, I've located two resource books, one on version 5, the other on
    version 6. I'll compare those objects/properties/methods I'm concerned
    about and make what ever adjustments are necessary. I'll still try to
    locate an Excel97 user, though, as there is nothing better than actual
    testing.

    Thanks for your input...