run code on opening workbook and apply code to certain sheets

  1. #1
    Jane
    Guest

    run code on opening workbook and apply code to certain sheets

    I have vba code that I want to run when I open the workbook and I only want
    it to apply to sheet3, sheet5 and sheet6. Would someone know how I need to
    write this? Thanks.

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: run code on opening workbook and apply code to certain sheets

    Something like

    Private Sub Workbook_Open()
    Mymacro Worksheets("Sheet3")
    Mymacro Worksheets("Sheet5")

    Mymacro Worksheets("Sheet6")
    End Sub

    where your macro would be able to take a worksheet object as a parameter and
    process that object.

    'This is workbook event code.

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Jane
    Guest

    Re: run code on opening workbook and apply code to certain sheets

    Thank you very much. Do I need to put my code with the code you gave me and
    make it all as one? and what does "mymacro" represent? Forgive me I am
    still learning. Thanks.

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: run code on opening workbook and apply code to certain sheets

    mymacro is the macro for your VBA code.

    Your code can be in standard code module, it doesn't have to go with this
    code. The important thing is to ensue your code can handle variable
    worksheet objects.

  5. #5
    Jane
    Guest

    Re: run code on opening workbook and apply code to certain sheets

    Thank you again and even more for helping me on Sunday. My code currently
    says: ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("sheet3").Activate so I have the code
    currently saved under that one spreadsheet while I was testing it. Is that
    wrong? Does it need to go somewhere else? I need to put it "somewhere" so
    it knows to run on certain spreadsheets. I ran your code and changed
    "myMacro" to "colorformat" which is my "sub" name but the code stopped right
    after: Private Sub Workbook_Open(). Is that wrong?

  6. #6
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: run code on opening workbook and apply code to certain sheets

    Your macro should now look something like this

    Sub colorformat(sh As Worksheet)
    sh.Activate
    End Sub

    This is code that should be placed in a standard code module (Insert>Module)
    in the VBE, not within the worksheet code module.

    The other code should go in the ThisWorkbook code module as I mentioned. To
    be doubly sure you could change it to

    Private Sub Workbook_Open()
    colorformat ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Sheet3")
    colorformat ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Sheet5")
    colorformat ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Sheet6")
    End Sub

    although that shouldn't be absolutely necessary as it will be the active
    workbook by virtue of being opened, but it does no harm.

    I hope your colorformat macro will do more later, as activating one sheet
    after another doesn't have a lot of point :-).

  7. #7
    Jane
    Guest

    Re: run code on opening workbook and apply code to certain sheets

    Thanks for the knowledge. You say you hope my colorformat vba will do more
    later, as activating one sheet at a time doesn't have a lot of point. Please
    help me to fix that. I am so new at this. I want it to work as efficiently
    as possible but do not have the knowledge base by any means. By the way
    everything seems to be working great I'm thrilled.

  8. #8
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: run code on opening workbook and apply code to certain sheets

    Jane,

    I'll try to help you but you need to lead.

    Why I am saying there is not much point as it stands is that activating
    sheet3, then 5 then 6 can be done more simply by just activating sheet6.

    So my question to you. What do you want your function to do?