How can I paste formulas only an not values

  1. #1
    RAD
    Guest

    How can I paste formulas only an not values

    In a script I want to copy only formulas, not values.

    Currently I use this code for the 'paste' operation, but this also copy raw
    values, what I do not want.

    Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteFormulas, Operation:=xlNone,
    SkipBlanks:=False, Transpose:=False

    Thanks

  2. #2

    Re: How can I paste formulas only an not values

    So your selection is a combination of constants and formulas?

    If yes, copy the range, paste the formulas and then clear the constants from
    that pasted range.

    Something like:

    dim rng as range
    dim destcell as range

    set rng = selection
    set destcell = worksheets("sheet1").range("a1")

    rng.copy
    destcell.pastespecial Paste:=xlPasteFormulas, Operation:=xlNone, _
    SkipBlanks:=False, Transpose:=False

    on error resume next
    destcell.resize(rng.rows.count,rng.columns.count) _
    .cells.specialcells(xlcelltypeconstants).clearcontents
    on error goto 0

  3. #3
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: How can I paste formulas only an not values

    Raw values are considered formulas for the purpose of pasting. So you would
    have to avoid copying cells that contain constants.

    selection.Specialcells(xlformulas).copy

    will just copy cells with formulas - however, it will skip the cells it
    doesn't copy and this may not be what you want.

    you could paste the original selection as you are doing, then clear out the
    constants

    set rng = selection
    rng.copy Range("Z100")
    Range("Z100").Resize(rng.rows.count, _
    rng.columns.count).specialcells(xlconstants).clear

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Vacation's Over
    Guest

    RE: How can I paste formulas only an not values

    Try

    dim targetcell as range
    dim sourcecell as range

    targetcell.formula = sourcecell.formula

    by passes the clipboard and easier to read

  5. #5
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: How can I paste formulas only an not values

    From the other answers and since they all seem to lead in about
    the same direction, it might be possible that you are trying to do something
    like the first macro, InsertRowsAndFillFormulas in
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/insrtrows.htm
    ---
    HTH,