Sort Datas by 4 columns, Day, Hr, Min, Sec

  1. #1
    ddiicc
    Guest

    Sort Datas by 4 columns, Day, Hr, Min, Sec

    Hi,
    I have datas that consists of the date and time but the problem is that the
    date and time are segregated in 4 columns, day, Hour, Min and Sec.

    By using the normal sorting function or macro writings, I am only able to
    sort by 3 columns.

    Is there any scripts or any ways that I can sort by the 4 columns??

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    6,195
    Using a 5th (helper) column with (assuming your dates are in A1 to D1)

    =text(A1,"00")&text(B1,"00")&text(C1,"00")&text(D1,"00")

    Formula-drag that down the column to the end of your data, and sort over that column

    Quote Originally Posted by ddiicc

  3. #3
    Nigel
    Guest

    Re: Sort Datas by 4 columns, Day, Hr, Min, Sec

    Excel sort is persistent, that is if you sort the lowest 'groug' first then
    the second 'group' then the third 'group' etc....
    each group comprises the three sort levels within Excel.

    so sort group 1
    level 1: hr, level 2: min, level 3: sec

    then sort group 2
    level 1: day only