How do i timestamp comment fields

  1. #1
    BenMetz
    Guest

    How do i timestamp comment fields

    i'm wondering i can i put in an instant timestamp when i add a comment to a
    cell in microsoft excel.

    i'd liek to also be able to edit the comment, and add a second timestamp two
    line before the previous comment.

    i'd think some programming would be invlolved. any ideas? good tutorials on
    programming? what programming options do i have?

  2. #2
    Doug Glancy
    Guest

    Re: How do i timestamp comment fields

    Ben,

    I believe you need to create your own comment macro and use it instead. For
    a start look here:

    http://www.contextures.com/xlcomments03.html#Plain

    hth,

    Doug

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    BenMetz
    Guest

    Re: How do i timestamp comment fields

    thank you. i'll run through that and hopefully be able to do it. is it
    possible to do this in VB/XML/microsoft script editor? i saw those functions
    in excel but don't know how i'd utilize them.

  4. #4
    Doug Glancy
    Guest

    Re: How do i timestamp comment fields

    Ben,

    You should write a VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) macro. VBA is a
    version of VB that only runs inside Excel (or other programs). Open up the
    Visual Basic Editor in Excel (Alt-F11) and write your code there. (You
    could also do it in VB by automating Excel, but from your descritption I
    don't think that's what you want.)

    You should also look into the Macro Recorder in Excel. It generates VBA
    code and is a great way to figure out how to code things.

    There's lots of VBA resources on the net. Google and you'll find blogs,
    pages, and archived newsgroups. www.j-walk.com and www.*****-blog.com/ are
    two good sites that will also point you many other resources.

    Post back if that doesn't answer your question.

  5. #5
    BenMetz
    Guest

    Re: How do i timestamp comment fields

    Doug,
    thanks for your assistance. helped for future references. but curious, is
    it possible to do what i need to do by just selecting "Insert Comment" and
    "Edit Comment" ? instead of running a macro everytime?