Pivot table field settings

  1. #1
    Siew-Ming
    Guest

    Pivot table field settings

    Hi,

    Instead of displaying the sum, count or average of the data, I would like
    the exact data to be displayed. Is it possible? The main reason is the data
    is in text format like SocialScience456, LanguageArt123 and etc. The row is
    in TeacherName and the column is in Period#.

    Thanks,
    Siew-Ming

  2. #2
    K Dales
    Guest

    RE: Pivot table field settings

    It sounds like what you want is a lookup function, but it is hard for me to
    know which one based on your description. Check the Help files on these
    functions - one or more of them I think will help:
    VLookup
    HLookup
    Match
    Offset
    DGet
    --
    - K Dales

  3. #3
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Pivot table field settings

    You can't display text fields as text in the data area. You could add
    the field to the row area, where the text will be displayed, then use
    another field in the data area to obtain a count of the occurrences

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  4. #4
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Pivot table field settings

    Pivot tables do numeric summarization. You could perhaps produce a count
    and then ignore that.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Siew-Ming
    Guest

    RE: Pivot table field settings

    Thank you for all the responses out there.

    The data looks as below on the spreadsheet.

    SectionID Period TeacherName House Team
    LanguageArt123 01 ABC A 01
    LanguageArt456 01 DEF A 02
    SocialSci123 02 ABC A 01
    SocialSci456 02 DEF A 02
    Math123 03 ABC A 01
    Math456 03 DEF A 02
    LanguageArt789 01 GHI B 01
    LanguageArt999 01 JKL B 02
    SocialSci789 02 GHI B 01
    SocialSci999 02 JKL B 02
    Math789 03 GHI B 01
    Math999 03 JKL B 02
    This is what I would like to accomplish from the Pivot table.

    Period#
    House TeacherName 01 02
    03
    A ABC LanguageArt123 SocialSci123
    Math123
    A DEF LanguageArt456 SocialSci456
    Math456
    B GHI LanguageArt789 SocialSci789
    Math789
    B JKL LanguageArt999
    SocialSci999 Math999

  6. #6
    George Nicholson
    Guest

    Re: Pivot table field settings

    Pivot tables expect numberical data in the data area. To use a pivot table
    for this you would need to replace the text course title with course
    numbers. You could then use Sum to get the course-per-period result you want
    (assuming that no teacher is scheduled for 2 courses in the same house
    during the same period <g>).

    You could then create a simple "mirror" of that table that references the
    pivot results row-by-row but translates the course number of the pivot to
    course title via vlookup or something similar.

    HTH,
    --
    George Nicholson

    Remove 'Junk' from return address.