Protecting VBA Macros

  1. #1
    hecsan07
    Guest

    Protecting VBA Macros

    I have a Spreadsheet with a couple of VBA macros. I want to protect the
    Spreadsheets so that viewers of the Spreadsheet can see nor edit the
    underlying VBA code.
    How do I accomplish that from code or from the Excel Interface?

    -HS

  2. #2
    mike
    Guest

    Re: Protecting VBA Macros

    Go to Tools-Macros-VB Editor. Right click the VBA project name and
    select properties. the protection tab allows you to enter a password.
    Caution: If you forget the password, you're hosed! there is no way to
    unprotect the macro code without the password.

  3. #3
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: Protecting VBA Macros

    Hi Hecsan,

    Mike has shown you how to hide and protect your code.

    However:

    > Caution: If you forget the password, you're hosed! there is no way to
    > unprotect the macro code without the password.

    should be interpreted purely as a warning that forgetting your password may
    represent an inconvenience.

    It should not be thought that such password protection represents any real
    security. Anyone with the correct knowledge, or the ability to Google, will
    readily be able to gain access to the code.

    It may be worthwhile protecting your code to deter casual viewers and
    prevent non-malicious tampering, but this should not give rise to any false
    assumptions about the levels of security provide by Excel which are, in
    reality, minimal.

    ---
    Regards,
    Norman

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    mike
    Guest

    Re: Protecting VBA Macros

    Yikes!! Thanks for the eye opener, Norman. My security blanket is now
    riddled with holes.