Macro won't execute from a Command Button

  1. #1
    Dick Scheibe
    Guest

    Macro won't execute from a Command Button

    I have macro problem where I am changing the background color on a worksheet
    that contains charts. If any chart or part of a chart is selected, the macro
    won't run from a button. My macro first selects a worksheet and a range in
    the worksheet, thus de-selecting any other selection (chart). It then
    changes the color in a specified range. The macro code associated with
    button only calls another macro routine and has no real executable associated
    with it other than that. The macro runs from the macro editor perfectly,
    either by running the click macro associated with the button or the macro
    routine called by the button. It runs perfectly from the tools macro macro
    run pull down as well. It won't run from the button - it starts and then
    just stops without completing the routine. Is it a bug?

  2. #2

    Re: Macro won't execute from a Command Button

    xl97???

    If yes, rightclick on the button (while in design mode) and show the properties.

    Scrolldown to the .takefocusonclick property and change it to false.

    (It is a bug in xl97, but fixed in xl2k.)

  3. #3
    Dick Scheibe
    Guest

    Re: Macro won't execute from a Command Button

    Thanks but no cigar. I am running both Office 2002 and 2003 but I tried your
    fix anyway. Neither seem to run the macro from the button. Any other ideas?

  4. #4

    Re: Macro won't execute from a Command Button

    Maybe you should post the offending code.

  5. #5
    Dick Scheibe
    Guest

    Re: Macro won't execute from a Command Button

    The code is as follows for both the code to change the background and the
    associated macro:

    Sub PlotsSolidBack()
    Sheets("Plot").Select
    Range("a1").Select
    Range("PlotBackgroundArea").Select
    With Selection.Interior
    .ColorIndex = 41
    .Pattern = xlSolid
    End With
    PlotSheetHome
    End Sub

    Sub PlotsBackgroundButton_Click()
    PlotsSolidBack
    End Sub

    Please remember that a chart may or may not be selected when this is
    executed - it does always work when the button is not used or a chart is not
    selected. The purpose of the macro is to allow use by anyone. There is also
    another macro that changes the background color to none that has the same
    issues. PlotsSheet Home is a macro that just scrolls to the top of the sheet.
    Thanks

  6. #6
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: Macro won't execute from a Command Button

    Hi ****,

    Your code ran without problem for me, either manually or from a command
    button.

    I could reproduce the button inactivity, however, if I put the
    PlotsBackgroundButton_Click code in a standard module instead of the
    relevant sheet code module.

    Incidentally, none of your selections is necessary and so your
    PlotsSolidBack sub could simplify to:

    Sub PlotsSolidBack()
    With Sheets("Plot").Range("PlotBackgroundArea").Interior
    .ColorIndex = 41
    .Pattern = xlSolid
    End With
    PlotSheetHome
    End Sub

    ---
    Regards,
    Norman

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Dick Scheibe
    Guest

    Re: Macro won't execute from a Command Button

    Thanks Norman, but it doesn't run for me if any Chart or Part of a Chart,
    e.g. an axis, is already selected when the button is pushed. The deselection
    of objects on the sheet seems to be the issue but the code runs fine when any
    of the routines are run from the editor or pull down menu (even with a chart
    selected). The command button is in the relevant sheet code module and the
    called routine is in a standard module. The selection of a range was an
    attempt to fix the problem in that the selection deselects any chart that may
    be selected, however to no avail. Your code is more concise but the problem
    remains.
    ****

  8. #8
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: Macro won't execute from a Command Button

    Hi ****,

    I added some charts to the button sheet. I then repeatedly selected
    different chart elements, each time attempting to run your code via the
    command button. The button code only failed to run for me if I had a chart
    format dialog open.

    As your problem only manifests itself with charts present, if nobody else
    intervenes with more constructive assistance, perhaps you could also ask in
    the microsoft.public.excel.charting group.

    ---

  9. #9
    Dick Scheibe
    Guest

    Re: Macro won't execute from a Command Button

    Thank all of you who have responded and helped. I have isolated the problem
    and I think it is a bug in Excel. If the buttons are located above an
    horizontal freeze line (in my case the sheet was frozen below line 2) the
    buttons won't work if a chart is selected. If there is no freeze or they are
    below the freeze pane line they work just fine. So the problem is caused by
    the location of the command button on the worksheet when the sheet has frozen
    rows. This is a new anomaly for me and is likely caused by a combination of
    the fact the chart is selected and the button are above the row freeze.
    Hope this helps others as well.
    ****