Cell size limit?

  1. #1
    Rob Docherty
    Guest

    Cell size limit?

    Is there a limit to the amount of text that can be displayed in a cell?

    I've got some code that autosizes the row and I've ticked the Wrap text
    option.

    Once the text goes over a certain length, all I see is # characters in the
    cell.

    The number format of the cell is text.

    Thanks,

    Rob

  2. #2
    KL
    Guest

    Re: Cell size limit?

    Hi Rob,

    Below is an excerpt from the Excel Help:

    Column width 255 characters
    Row height 409 points
    Length of cell contents (text) 32,767 characters. Only 1,024 display in a
    cell; all 32,767 display in the formula bar.

    Regards,
    KL

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Scott
    Guest

    RE: Cell size limit?

    The maximum number of characters Excel will display is 1,024. Any characters
    beyond that limit will still be visible in the formula bar but can't be
    displayed in the cell itself.
    --
    Scott

  4. #4
    Andibevan
    Guest

    Re: Cell size limit?

    The Excel Help file does state that the visible cell limit is 1024 - but
    from my experience (and I have spent quite a large amount of time trying to
    work this out) the actual limit is greater than this.

    From my investigations it appears to range from 1100 to on occaisions 1700

    It appears to be a factor of the column width, lines of text in the cell and
    hard carriage returns. I certainly have never seen it not display the
    1025th character.

    I would be very happy for someone to prove me wrong

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Cell size limit?

    obviously, the string doesn't just end at the 1024th character. The
    characters required to reach the right border are displayed as well.
    I believe the KB article on this actually says approximately 1024
    characters.

    Only 1,024 characters are displayed in a cell in Excel

    Not mentioned in the article, but this limitation can be overcome by putting
    in hard character returns and reducing the font size in which case, you
    could possibly get the entire 32K characters displayed in the largest size
    cell.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...