data from external webpage

  1. #1
    R.VENKATARAMAN
    Guest

    data from external webpage

    I searched the googles groups to get some insight into this. But I could
    not get exactly what I want.
    I know some experts do not recomment using <sendkeys>

    however I want to get data from a webpage into excel . It is is not simple
    using <new web query>. In the webpage I have to click one of the two
    option(or are they checkboxes?) boxes and then enter a text in the small
    window. finally I have to click something like a command button <submit>

    I do have some codes wherein you have to simply enter the user id and
    password in the code and run it. .
    The EXTRACT ONLY of the sub is
    While appIE.busy
    DoEvents
    Wend
    appIE.navigate "https://access.leggmason.com/"
    While appIE.ReadyState <> READYSTATE_COMPLETE
    DoEvents
    Wend
    SendKeys "excel", True '----------this is user id
    SendKeys "{TAB}", True
    SendKeys "hello", True '------------this is password
    SendKeys "{ENTER}", True

    Of course this code also gives problem at READYSTATE_COMPLETE but I used a
    variant dim for this.
    it works in some cases but it does not work in some other cases where due
    to security reason the webpage asks again for the password(example-yahoo
    mail). I tried to modify the same code in the mouse clicking case also. B
    ut I am stumped as I could not find the keyboard short cut for clicking the
    mouse. In the case of <submit > button i presume that I can use <enter> key.

    It is obvious I have not understood fully the sub

    Highly thankful for any suggestion how to go about . I am fairly familiar
    with excel and VBA.
    mine excel 2000/windows 98 SE
    the relevant url is
    http://www.bseindia.com/histdata/stockprc.asp

    regarads

  2. #2
    Brian Delaney
    Guest

    Re: data from external webpage

    Hi RV,

    If I read this correctly, you're trying to do something I just figured out
    (and with your help, by the way, from past posts).

    ' Open Internet Explorer application

    Set ie = CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application")

    With ie

    ..Visible = True

    ' Go to login page

    ..Navigate "http(etc)"

    ' Loop until the page is fully loaded

    Do Until .ReadyState = 4

    DoEvents

    Loop

    ' Make the desired selections on the web page and click the submit Button

    Set ipf = ie.Document.all.Item("login")

    ipf.Value = "your username"

    Set ipf = ie.Document.all.Item("passwd")

    ipf.Value = "your password"

    Set ipf = ie.Document.all.Item("login_form")

    ipf.submit

    ' Loop while web site homepage loads

    Do Until ie.Document.URLUnencoded = "http(etc)"

    DoEvents

    Loop

    End With

    I interpreted the Item names from the login web page HTML code (using
    View>Source). For some pages, I've had to replace "ipf.submit" with
    "ipf.click". I also had trouble with getting loops to work while the web
    pages loaded. In the above case, assigning the procedure to wait for the
    post-login page to load worked. Otherwise I've generally been using

    Application.Wait Now + TimeValue("00:00:05")

    setting the time allowed according to how quickly pages for a given site
    usually load. I had 3 sites in particular I wanted to use this on and it's
    now been working without fail for a couple weeks.

    Good luck,

    Brian

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    R.VENKATARAMAN
    Guest

    Re: data from external webpage

    thank you for the comprehensive reply. shall try it and post back

    news:[email protected]...