illegal field name using advanced filters after inserting a row

  1. #1
    tron527
    Guest

    illegal field name using advanced filters after inserting a row

    I have a macro that calls the advanced filter to find all of the unique names
    in a column. I have run it several times and have had no problems. I recently
    added a new name to the top of the list by inserting a new row, now everytime
    I try to run the macro it says that there is a "missing or illegal field
    name". I cut and pasted this inserted row at the bottom and deleted the now
    empty row and the filter works just fine and will list the name at the bottom
    of the unique list. I then tried to sort the cells in ascending order, the
    new name, being first alphabetically, was listed first. I tried to run the
    macro again and got the same problem. I would like to have the list in
    alphabetical order, is there any way to work around this problem?

  2. #2
    windsurferLA
    Guest

    Re: illegal field name using advanced filters after inserting a row

    tron527 wrote:
    > I have a macro that calls the advanced filter to find all of the unique names
    > in a column. I have run it several times and have had no problems. I recently
    > added a new name to the top of the list by inserting a new row, now everytime
    > I try to run the macro it says that there is a "missing or illegal field
    > name". I cut and pasted this inserted row at the bottom and deleted the now
    > empty row and the filter works just fine and will list the name at the bottom
    > of the unique list. I then tried to sort the cells in ascending order, the
    > new name, being first alphabetically, was listed first. I tried to run the
    > macro again and got the same problem. I would like to have the list in
    > alphabetical order, is there any way to work around this problem?

    In some situations when an Excel sheet is used to hold data, Excel
    assumes the top row to contain the field names. If this is the case,
    and one of the values that ends up in the top violates the rules for
    field names, trouble would likely be encountered.