Pivot table - Charachter limitation

  1. #1
    Darin Kramer
    Guest

    Pivot table - Charachter limitation

    Howdie...

    My Pivot table doesnt display all the data that it is meant to!!
    It is effectively running out of charachters
    (The source contains a large number of charachters in each individual
    cell) Within the source its fine, but within the pivot table drops
    charachters from the end.

    Alternative solutions to overcome this problem....? Your thoughts are
    most welcome!!!

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Pivot table - Charachter limitation

    Is it a display problem or the strings are truncated. At what length?

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:%[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Darin Kramer
    Guest

    Re: Pivot table - Charachter limitation

    The strings are truncated. Length 255
    (I thought of merging cells, or the like, but it gets too complicated.)

  4. #4
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Pivot table - Charachter limitation

    I think you are stuck with that limitation.

    Pivot tables are designed for summarizing numerical data, so it is certainly
    conceivable that the pivotcache was not designed to hold more than 255
    characters of data for any single "cell".

  5. #5

    Re: Pivot table - Charachter limitation

    Maybe you could assign a unique key for each of those long strings.

    Then use =vlookup() to return the long string based on that unique key.

    (This may not be much of a solution if you really pivot those tables.)