validation all cells different format

  1. #1
    Sandy
    Guest

    validation all cells different format

    Hello -

    I have a number of cells with different formats, e.g. E5 is a text cell that
    has to be filled in; E6 is a numeric cell that has to be filled in and E7 is
    a date cell with the format mm/dd/yyyy.

    I would like to put a button in that will validate all the cells. How do I
    go about doing this? Is it possible?

    Any help will be immensely appreciated!
    --
    Sandy

  2. #2
    Forum Expert dominicb's Avatar
    Lancashire, England
    MS-Off Ver
    MS Office 2000, 2003, 2007 & 2016 365
    Posts
    4,867

    Smile

    Good morning Sandy

    It is possible, but why not use the easier route of using Excel's validation feature. Data > Validation will allow you to set parameters up for any individual cell, and the validation rules will be checked whenever the user attempts to leave a cell.

    HTH

    DominicB

  3. #3
    Sandy
    Guest

    Re: validation all cells different format

    Hi Dominic -

    Thanks for your response. There are actually 64 cells that need to be
    validated on one sheet and eight on another. As people work on these, they
    don't for example, always have all of the answers and partially fill out the
    form until they get them. When it is finally submitted, it is easy for them
    to miss a couple. In other words, sometimes, they don't enter a cell yet.
    Therefore, validation upon leaving won't work.

    I am used to working with .Net which makes validation easy. If something
    isn't filled in and a submit button is clicked, a list of incorrect/blank
    answers can be returned to them. I was looking for this type of
    functionality.

    Any suggestions?
    --
    Sandy

  4. #4
    Mangesh Yadav
    Guest

    Re: validation all cells different format

    Just an idea. Why don't you conditional format all these input cells. When
    blank, put a color. So once the user has completed the form, he can easily
    see the blanks which are colored.

    Mangesh

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Forum Expert dominicb's Avatar
    Lancashire, England
    MS-Off Ver
    MS Office 2000, 2003, 2007 & 2016 365
    Posts
    4,867

    Smile

    Hi Sandy

    As far as I know no such option exists in VBA, or in Excel in general. You could resort to using VBA but to check 60+ cells it would be a pain to code, especially if these cells are prone to change position.

    DominicB

  6. #6
    Sandy
    Guest

    RE: validation all cells different format

    Hi -

    Thanks all! I think I'll give the conditional formatting a try.
    --
    Sandy