CANNOT OPEN "OPTIONS" IN THE TOOLS MENU

  1. #1
    pcw
    Guest

    CANNOT OPEN "OPTIONS" IN THE TOOLS MENU

    Hi guys,

    When I choose "Options" in the Tools menu in Excel 97, it won't open,
    instead I get a message telling
    me the macro cannot run and displays the typical buttons End, Debug ....
    The Personal Macro Workbook does not show any macros when I go to Tools,
    Macro, Macros.

    I am not a programmer so I'm in the dark about this one.

    It works fine on the other pc.

    Would greatly appreciate any help on this one.

    pcw.

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: CANNOT OPEN "OPTIONS" IN THE TOOLS MENU

    Find the *username*.xlb file or excel8.xlb file for this PC (should be in
    the Windows directory for xl97). Rename this file to have something other
    than a .xlb extension. then try opening excel.

    This file hold menu customizations. It could be corrupt or someone might
    have redefined that menu item.

    this is just something to try - can't guarantee it is the problem.

    Tom Ogilvy

  3. #3
    mike
    Guest

    Re: CANNOT OPEN "OPTIONS" IN THE TOOLS MENU

    A number of factors can affect how a workbook functions on different
    computers. There are security settings to deal with as well as the
    macro contents of "personal.xls". There are also startup switches that
    can be different from PC-2-PC or USER-2-USER.

    A few suggestions:

    1. Try starting Excel on the problem PC without loading a workbook. If
    you get the same error, locate the file personal.xls and rename it or
    move it to a temporary folder. Then try starting Excel again. Also,
    look in the XLStart folder in the following locations (on both PCs)

    C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11

    Any differences can help isolate the problem.

    2. When you start Excel, hold the SHIFT key down during startup. This
    prevents any macros from actually running. If things start normally,
    there is definitely a macro trying to run from somewhere.

    3. Change your security setting, Tools- Macros- Security, to medium.
    This allows you to make a decision as to whether macros are allowed to
    execute.

    regards,

    mike

  4. #4
    Jim Rech
    Guest

    Re: CANNOT OPEN "OPTIONS" IN THE TOOLS MENU

    I don't believe this is a toolbar or rights issue. This is from a recent
    post where the user said it solved his identical problem:
    --------------
    It might be a corrupted registry entry which you'd have to fix by running
    the REGEDIT program from Start->Run (with Excel closed).

    Navigate to this registry key:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Mic*rosoft\Office\11.0\Excel\Optio*ns

    and then select each of the 5 items in turn in the right pane that begin
    with "Options" and rename them (like Options3 to Options3XX). F2 is a
    shortcut for editing a name.

    After all 5 are renamed start Excel and see if it helped.

    --
    Jim

  5. #5
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: CANNOT OPEN "OPTIONS" IN THE TOOLS MENU

    I suspect that at some point in the past you hooked up (either
    intentionally or inadvertently through someone else's code) your
    Options... item to some macro.

    Following Tom's advice will reset all the menu bars. Hopefully, that
    will fix the problem. However, it will reset all customization you
    have done.

    An alternative is some more diagnostics...

    What macro is XL complaining about?

    Since it offers you a 'Debug' option, use it and see where XL takes
    you.

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Custom MS Office productivity solutions

  6. #6
    pcw
    Guest

    Re: CANNOT OPEN "OPTIONS" IN THE TOOLS MENU

    Thanks everybody for your suggestions. I tried all of them but unfortunately
    the problem is still there.
    I logged on under a different username and there is no problem whatsoever.
    Any further thoughts???.

    pcw

  7. #7
    Jim Rech
    Guest

    Re: CANNOT OPEN "OPTIONS" IN THE TOOLS MENU

    I'd ask you to run Regedit again and make sure you did everything I
    suggested (making sure Excel is closed at the time).

    --
    Jim

  8. #8
    pcw
    Guest

    Re: CANNOT OPEN "OPTIONS" IN THE TOOLS MENU

    Thought I did but possible I forgot something. Will try again tomorrow.

    pcw

    news:%[email protected]...