Determine number of lines of text within a cell

  1. #1
    Andibevan
    Guest

    Determine number of lines of text within a cell

    Hi,

    If you have a cell that has word-wrap applied and there are no hard-carriage
    returns in it (i.e. Alt+Enter) can you determine how many lines of text
    there are in the cell?

    A different way to look at it is to count the number of times the text
    "Wraps" within one cell.

    Thanks

    Andi

  2. #2
    Mike Fogleman
    Guest

    Re: Determine number of lines of text within a cell

    Without Carriage returns to count new lines, it would be difficult to be
    accurate. A guesstimate would be to determine the column width property and
    calculate how many average width characters, at the current fontsize, would
    fit in that width, and divide the total length of characters by the
    guesstimate length per line. Maybe the window zoom level would come into
    play here too, I am not sure.
    Good Luck!!

    Mike F
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Andibevan
    Guest

    Re: Determine number of lines of text within a cell

    I seem to be faced with a difficult problem from an automation point of
    view.

    Essentially we have an action log with action number in column A and
    progress in column B. When the progress gets so long that it is not visible
    in the cell we archive part of the cell off into the cell comments.

    This seems to be problematic for a number of reasons as although Excel
    says that only 1024 characters can be visible in a cell, I always find it to
    be higher than this.

    Any ideas?

    news:[email protected]...