Is active content in an excel workbook (embedded object, not VBA) a security risk?

  1. #1
    New Zealand

    Is active content in an excel workbook (embedded object, not VBA) a security risk?

    Hi All,

    I was passed a workbook by a colleague that has an embedded Shockwave Flash file in a worksheet.

    The file contains no detectable code whatsoever, so it *appears* to be entirely safe to open.

    However, clearly the Shockwave Flash file is active content of a sort.

    I am not really familiar with this type of thing, so I am wondering if it is a security risk in general (whether or not this particular one is)?

    I have attached the file within the ExcelForum webfeed that links to microsoft.public.excel.programming as a text posting. This post should have a URL to the file at the bottom if you are interested.

    *WARNING*

    The file may or may not be safe. I have no reason to suspect that it is not, but the point of my post is to garner opinions as to whether this is a generic security risk (even if this particular example is benign).

    Also, the flash animation consists of line drawn animated caveman characters. The subject could, I guess, offend some people, but most will just find it vaguely amusing. For the avoidance of doubt, there is nothing explicit (they disappear into a cave, and you can infer what they are doing).

    I added my own code to the file as follows to determine what I could about the object:

    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

    Sub TestObj()

    Dim mysheet As Worksheet
    Dim obj As OLEObject

    Set mysheet = Worksheets("Arkusz1")
    Set obj = mysheet.OLEObjects(1)

    Debug.Print "AltHTML = " & obj.AltHTML
    Debug.Print "AutoLoad = " & obj.AutoLoad
    Debug.Print "Creator = " & obj.Creator
    Debug.Print "Locked = " & obj.Locked
    Debug.Print "Name = " & obj.Name
    Debug.Print "OLEType = " & obj.OLEType
    Debug.Print "ProgId = " & obj.ProgId
    Debug.Print "Verb = " & obj.Verb
    Debug.Print "ZOrder = " & obj.ZOrder

    ' This would return an object so nonsensical to print it
    ' but is it just a reference to itself or some other object?
    ' If the latter, then what?
    '
    ' Debug.Print "Object = " & obj.Object

    ' Not sure why this fails it should be a string, but it errors out.
    '
    ' Debug.Print "SourceName = " & obj.SourceName

    End Sub

    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

    The output to my immediate window is as follows:

    AltHTML =
    AutoLoad = False
    Creator = 1480803660
    Locked = True
    Name = ShockwaveFlash2
    OLEType = 2
    ProgId = ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.1
    Verb = True
    ZOrder = 1

    Any comments are welcome!

    Thanks,

    Alan.
    To help us help you, try to do the following:

    1) Be precise about what you want to do, and provide a sample of your data / inputs - exactly as they are.

    2) State the formula(e) / code that you have tried. People are happy to help , but if you haven't even given it a go, you are less likely to get help, or the help you get will be very basic.

    3) State the results you are getting from your formula(e) / code already.

    4) State the outputs that you *want* to be getting.

  2. #2
    New Zealand

    Is active content in an excel workbook (embedded object, not VBA) a security risk?

    Apologies!

    I cannot attach the file as the limit is 100kb and it is 292kb zipped up.

    If anyone wants it desperately, I can make it available to download elsewhere, but I don't think you really need access to the actual file to answer the question?

    Thanks,

    Alan.

  3. #3
    Alan
    Guest

    Re: Is active content in an excel workbook (embedded object, not VBA) a security risk?

    "Alan" <[email protected]>
    wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I am wondering if it is a security risk in general
    > (and whether or not this particular one is)?

    {Bump}