Complicated Formula/Code needed

  1. #1
    Andy (Hypnotic_Monkey_Scratcher)
    Guest

    Complicated Formula/Code needed

    Put this in Worksheet Functions, probably better off in here
    though.......sorry!!

    Hi

    Got a bit of a complicated prob.....reguarly at work we transfer data from
    one program to another. We have a 'matrix' to translate the data from one
    format to another. Every week I have to update the matrix by running a
    spreadsheet from the system and manually converting it into the other format
    and then load it up ready for when we do the transfer. If I'm in a hurry or
    whatever, mistakes are made in the matrix and it makes HUGE muckups in our
    other system.

    I'm looking at a way to automate it to counteract these human errors, but
    its becoming a bit of an impossible task!! All the codes from one system are
    in different formats and it requires me to know how they are translated,
    trying to create a formula or whatever todo this is hard! There are never
    any exact number of codes for each set each week, there can be none, so how
    do I get excel to realise this?

    I think Im going to have to use some VB todo this which I know almost zilch
    of at the moment. Realise this is a long term problem so am willing to learn
    it and see if I can solve it, but that takes time!

    If anyone wants the challenge of trying to help me out, please email me and
    I will send you the sample files so you can see what I'm going on about!!

    Thx in advance

    Andy

    [email protected]

  2. #2
    Tim Williams
    Guest

    Re: Complicated Formula/Code needed

    When you're talking about mapping "formats" do you mean the physical
    layout in terms of columns and rows, or mapping between different sets
    of values?

    Tim.

    "Andy (Hypnotic_Monkey_Scratcher)"
    <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Andy (Hypnotic_Monkey_Scratcher)
    Guest

    Re: Complicated Formula/Code needed

    Between different sets of values.

    e.g. in System 1 the code is "L3882C-000-000-SA25" and in System 2 is
    translated into 4 different parts (seperated by commas)
    "L3882,C000,000SA25,3600".

    Sorry, realise now using the word 'format' was confusing.

    Andy

  4. #4
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Complicated Formula/Code needed

    If you want to send them
    [email protected]

    Tom Ogilvy

  5. #5
    Andy (Hypnotic_Monkey_Scratcher)
    Guest

    Re: Complicated Formula/Code needed

    Hi Tom

    I have sent them through to you, didn't register in my hotmail sent items
    and the hotmail window has crashed now a few times so if you didn't receive
    it properly let me know and I will resend from my BT account.

    Cheers,

    Andy

  6. #6
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Complicated Formula/Code needed

    Assume this is you:

    "adhocrunsubmitrep2.xls is the sample file . . . "

    Will take a look.

    Tom Ogilvy

    "Andy (Hypnotic_Monkey_Scratcher)" <isitaaaandrew"at"hotmail"dot"com> wrote