Safeguarding Excel Products from Piracy

  1. #1

    Safeguarding Excel Products from Piracy

    Anyone have some idea, tricks, code, suggestions, examples of how to reduce if not prevent Excel-based products (like an Excel Template) from being used by a person who did not buy it (i.e., illegal copying and sharing)?

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Safeguarding Excel Products from Piracy

    The only way is to have some executable with key code in that so that it
    cannot be broken into, such as a DLL or a COM addin.

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Safeguarding Excel Products from Piracy

    Physical denial is about the only sure way.

    There are password crackers for every built in protection mechanism.

    Tom Ogilvy

    "fallingrock" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Greg Wilson
    Guest

    RE: Safeguarding Excel Products from Piracy

    I don't disseminate any of my projects but only produce them for work and
    install them on our system. To prevent a staff member from taking one of them
    if/when they leave the company, I include code in the Workbook_Open event
    that looks for a simple text file and code phrase inside that file. If it
    cannot be found then it won't open. They can make copies all they like but
    can't open them outside of this environment. The people who would take my
    stuff arn't skilled enough to crack VBProject protection.

    Regards,
    Greg

  5. #5
    STEVE BELL
    Guest

    Re: Safeguarding Excel Products from Piracy

    The only problem with events is that they are macros and anyone can open a
    workbook and turn macros off.

    They may not be able to get to the VBE code (???), but they can get to all
    the worksheets...
    (or some one could).

    It all depends on the people...

    For the most part - protection only helps prevent "accidents".

    --
    steveB

    Remove "AYN" from email to respond
    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Greg Wilson
    Guest

    Re: Safeguarding Excel Products from Piracy

    I agree Steve. But in my case, the code is all I am concerned about.
    Typically, the code is the important issue for developers. In my case, the
    data isn't confidential and anyone can setup worksheet formattng. And my
    projects are basically dysfunctional without the code.

    Worksheet and workbook (as opposed to file open) protection can be broken in
    seconds for those in the know. When I think of the people in my office and in
    my industry who potentially would want my stuff, except for our IT guy, few
    if any could even break worksheet protection. They wouldn't even know how to
    implement VBA code. Therefore, the strategy I mentioned is of value for most
    situations. After spending a zillion hours developing something we tend to
    overestimate its perceived value to others.

    Regards,
    Greg

  7. #7
    Greg Wilson
    Guest

    Re: Safeguarding Excel Products from Piracy

    As you are probably aware, there is a well know technique to have an
    introductory worksheet that is normally kept xlVeryHidden. On close it is
    made visible and all others are made xlVeryHidden. On open, if macros are
    enabled, the introductory sheet is made xlVeryHidden and the others are made
    visible. No problem. However, if macros are disabled, all you will see is
    this sheet telling you to enable macros in order to use the wb - i.e. the
    others remain xlVeryHidden.

    I don't go to this bother because (so far at least) it's unnessecsary for my
    projects. But it's something I do consider because worksheet functions can
    get complex and may be something to protect.

    Regards,
    Greg

  8. #8
    STEVE BELL
    Guest

    Re: Safeguarding Excel Products from Piracy

    Greg,

    We agree!

    The "blank" or "message" sheet is great to discourage people. More
    importantly it's a great way to make a one-workbook-fits-all
    and than restrict the users to their own pages...

    I sometimes hide sheets just to make the envirorment cleaner for the user.

    And again - anything I can do to help the user "not mess wit stuff"...
    keeps the project healthier.

    As you may have noticed - your code for unprotected cells only has become a
    favorite of mine.
    It really helps when creating forms on the worksheet... and protects those
    massive formulas...

    Thanks for your support...

  9. #9
    Greg,

    Your idea sounds secure enough. It doesn't involve a registry change or a scan of the user id. Simply write a file to their hard drive (somewhat like a cookie), then open and read a key phrase from that file before allowing the Excel template to launch a new instance. I can code that. But, that will take an installer app to write the txt file to disk (somewhere on C: drive, I presume) right? Got a reference or recommendation for an installer? Maybe Excel could do this the first time it is run, i the text file is supplied and somehow disquised from its true purpose.

    Thanks all for the response to this "can't be done" thread.

  10. #10
    Greg Wilson
    Guest

    Re: Safeguarding Excel Products from Piracy

    First, be advised that I'm no computer expert. Just a guy trying to be
    recognized as the office guru on Excel. I don't have to widely distribute a
    product to make a living. So I just manually install the file myself. I
    misspoke when I said that you can't open the file as Steve pointed out. You
    can open it with macros disabled of course. See our comments if you havn't
    already.

    > Maybe Excel could do this the first
    > time it is run, i the text file is supplied and somehow disquised from
    > its true purpose.

    You can install a text file using Excel and add text in case the above
    implies that you thought you couldn't. Text is optional actually. A file with
    the given name need only exist at a certain location.

    The idea (if that's what you meant) of the template modifying itself on
    first use after installing the cookie will work for my situation since I can
    walk away with the floppy afterwards. I only need worry about staff copying
    the file off the system after it has already been used. Granted, this will
    only save me the step of manually installing the file. Obviously, if you are
    distributing the template then they will just save the original floppy/CD
    which can be reused.

    Just throwing out this idea which is probably dumb: If your programs are
    highly specialized involving only a small number of sales then it may be
    feasible to always distribute a demo version first. The demo version is
    really a ruse which also installs the cookie. The client then must purchase
    the full version from you to obtain full functionality and don't know that
    they have the cookie installed. So all legitimate clients first run the demo
    version and then the real version. If someone makes a copy of the full
    version or walks off with the floppy then it won't work. I don't believe
    anyone has a good answer for this situation.

    Regards,
    Greg

  11. #11

    Re: Safeguarding Excel Products from Piracy

    >Worksheet and workbook (as opposed to file open) protection can be broken in
    >seconds for those in the know. When I think of the people in my office and in

    See for example this simple code for unprotecting a password protected
    worksheet, including a real life example:

    Excel do not password protect sheets properly
    http://www.pvv.org/~nsaa/excel.html#12

    Regards
    Nikolai

  12. #12
    STEVE BELL
    Guest

    Re: Safeguarding Excel Products from Piracy

    As we have been trying to point out:
    There is no perfect way to protect Excel. Protection is the wrong word.
    It is really a minor
    safety feature that helps prevent messing with sensitive features of a
    workbook.

    There are ways to make it more difficult for users to have access to
    sensitive areas - but few (if any) are perfect.

    Greg has found a method that works well in his environment. So if you want
    to add safety to your workbooks - take Greg's advice.

  13. #13
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Safeguarding Excel Products from Piracy

    If you give the user the install package (which you will need to do), why
    can't they distribute that to whomever they wish. The only thing that would
    enforce checking the text file would be running a macro. Running the macro
    is easily disabled even by the most novice user. Hiding sheets is again,
    trivial protection. Why wouldn't your user, no matter how computer
    illiterate have a "Greg" (local office guru) in the office. If you really
    have something to protect, then you are pretty much wasting your time
    pursing the routes suggested. Also, if this is really a template
    (file=>New), then no code runs before the new instance is created.

    Anyway, do what you want. Have fun.

    Tom Ogilvy

    "fallingrock" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  14. #14
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Safeguarding Excel Products from Piracy

    Good example on your site of easily breaking the hidden sheet protection
    approach. LOL

    Tom Ogilvy

  15. #15
    Greg Wilson
    Guest

    Re: Safeguarding Excel Products from Piracy

    I am well aware of the code example you quoted. In fact, I've quoted it
    myself in former posts. The truth is, you can actually unprotect a worksheet
    with just two lines of code. I am not willing to share this because, in my
    view, this would be a disservice to the Excel community. But this statement
    does underscore the poor protection issue.

    Regards,
    Greg

  16. #16

    Re: Safeguarding Excel Products from Piracy

    > I am not willing to share this because, in my
    > view, this would be a disservice to the Excel community.

    Why is this a disservice? The code is freely aviable on a lot of sites.
    People should be aware of this so they can take propper measurements to
    protect themselves. Why havn't Microsoft fixed this problem?...

    This is maybe the first time the code appears (according to
    http://www.militaryfairy.co.uk/Docs/...Passwords.html) at a
    newsgroup:
    http://groups.google.com/group/micro...=UTF-8&rnum=17

    Sub InternalPasswords()
    'Original (?)by Bob McCormick on NG:
    'microsoft.public.excel.misc on 22 May 2001.
    'Adapted for workbook passwords Norman Harker 19 Nov 2002
    'Breaks workbook and worksheet password protection.
    'Works for either workbook or worksheet passwords or both
    '"comment out" the nested if functions to make applicable.

  17. #17
    STEVE BELL
    Guest

    Re: Safeguarding Excel Products from Piracy

    It is a disservice because people use protection to help protect (even
    though it doesn't).
    And any thing that defeats this is actually doing a criminal act (even if it
    is minor).
    It would be like people being able to figure out your pin number, account
    password, etc...

    Just because the code is available - doesn't make it right.

    Do you favor having sites on the internet that show people how to make
    bombs? I don't!

    Would you favor having your Social Security Number available on the
    internet? I don't!

    These things and more are possible - but morally and ethically - they don't
    belong...

  18. #18
    Greg Wilson
    Guest

    Re: Safeguarding Excel Products from Piracy

    It's a disservice because, unlike your examples, it can be done with just two
    lines of code (I'm serious). Two lines can obviously be reproduced from
    memory. In other words, you can literally break ws protection in about the
    same time as someone who knows the password. At least the other examples
    require a little preparation and VBA knowledge. It's a disservice because
    it's my impression that only very few know the code to this point. IMO, it's
    best to keep it this way. When I discouvered I was dissapointed.

    This NG often gives the opinion that ws protection is useless. Weak as hell
    no doubt. But I personally find that it still keeps the majority from
    screwing things up. Not that they wouldn't be quite happy to do so. They just
    don't know how.

    Regards,
    Greg

  19. #19

    Re: Safeguarding Excel Products from Piracy

    There is a protection system called CD-Cops Crypto (
    http://www.linkdata.com/crypto.htm ) which provides protection for
    Excel workbooks, by encrypting the file and only allowing it to be
    opened from the original CD-ROM.

    Kind regards,
    Terry

  20. #20

    Talking sheet and workbook protection

    The protection in excel at workbook & sheet level is rubbish .

    A simple function will unlock either, I can post the function upon request. The password used to unlock the sheet / workbook doesn't need to be the same lenght or even the same char string.