Ignore Other Applications" setting

  1. #1
    Joel
    Guest

    Ignore Other Applications" setting

    Short version: Is there a registry setting for the "Ignore Other
    Applications" setting?

    Long version: Many people here have problems opening Excel files that are
    remedied by:

    1. Opening Excel, and clicking on 'Tools | Options... | General' tab.
    2. Uncheck "Ignore Other Applications".

    I also know this property can be set in Excel VBA:

    Application.IgnoreRemoteRequests = False

    However, there are a LOT of computers that seem to have this problem.

    I figured that if this is being stored in a registry entry somewhere, I
    can remotely connect to the user's registry, and set the value to false from
    there, instead of having to run around to 100+ PC's, and repeat the processes
    listed here.

    Any ideas? Thanks!

  2. #2
    sebastienm
    Guest

    RE: Ignore Other Applications" setting

    It is stored in the Options key of the section:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Excel\Options
    (09.0 adjusted with the user version of excel i guess)
    Now, the issue is that this key is an aggregate of several options.

    After trying setting and unsetting the Ignore Other Application Requests,
    reading the registry each time, and converting the hexadecimal value in
    binary, it seems like it corresponds to the 7th bit (from the right): ...
    0100 0000
    (For me, mixed with the other options, it switches from 0x00000013 to
    0x00000053)
    .... but that's just a guess from my part...

    Sébastien
    <http://www.ondemandanalysis.com>

  3. #3
    NickHK
    Guest

    Re: Ignore Other Applications" setting

    Joel,
    Is there some app on the system that is setting this to TRUE ?

    NickHK

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Rob Bovey
    Guest

    Re: Ignore Other Applications" setting

    Hi Joel,

    You can modify the Ignore Other Applications setting directly in the
    registry. Unfortunately, it's not a simple True/False setting but rather
    part of a bitmask that stores several settings packed into a single numeric
    value. Because of this, modifying this setting in the registry correctly is
    not that much easier than doing it through Excel.

    My real question is why so many people at your organization have Ignore
    Other Applications set to True? This is not its default value, but it's very
    common for badly written Excel VBA applications to turn this setting off
    when they start up and not turn it back on when they exit.

    If this is what's going on, then even if you go around and turn it off
    you're likely to see it back on as soon as everyone has run the problem
    application again. I'd suggest working with a couple of machines for a while
    to see if you can narrow down the program that's causing the problem and
    either get it fixed or get rid of it.

    --
    Rob Bovey, Excel MVP
    Application Professionals

    * Take your Excel development skills to the next level.
    * Professional Excel Development
    http://www.appspro.com/Books/Books.htm

  5. #5
    Joel
    Guest

    Re: Ignore Other Applications" setting

    That was my next question, "What the heck is causing this?" But for now, I'm
    just trying to see if there is a way I can set this remotely, without
    disrupting the users, for several hundred users. Again, running around from
    PC to PC doesn't sound like much fun...

    You mention it's part of a bitmask...which one? sebasitan3 wrote to check
    the 7th bit of HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Excel\Options.
    I could try HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Excel\Options
    since we're on Office XP here. But, when I change the setting in Excel, I
    don't notice any change in the registry. Do you have to reboot to see the
    change or something?

    Thanks again,
    Joel

  6. #6
    sebastienm
    Guest

    Re: Ignore Other Applications" setting

    Do you close Excel after changing the setting and re-reading the registry?
    Excel writes its setiings when closing.
    That is, once you change the setting, you need to close Excel so that it is
    written to the registry. Then, if using RegEdit , refresh the key view.

    But once again, it is just based on my observation when opening excel, then
    only changing this single setting, and finally closing excel.

  7. #7
    Joel
    Guest

    Re: Ignore Other Applications" setting

    Ahh... That's why I wasn't catching the registry change with WinDiff ... I
    didn't close Excel first!

    I can find how to set all the option settings through the registry from
    here. Thanks for your help! : )

  8. #8
    Rob Bovey
    Guest

    Re: Ignore Other Applications" setting

    Hi Joel,

    Under the key:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Excel\Options\

    you will see a value called Options. To turn off Ignore Other Applications
    you need to turn *on* bit 6 of this value.

    Because the registry doesn't have a binary editor, you have to figure
    out what value to enter in order to turn this bit on. The easiest way to do
    this is to perform a bitwise OR operation in the Visual Basic Editor
    Immediate Window between the decimal number currently in the Option value
    (the number in parenthesis) and the number 64, which is the decimal
    representation of a binary number with only the sixth bit set.

    Lets say the current number in the Options value is 23. In the Immediate
    Window enter:

    ? 23 Or 64
    87

    As you can see, the result is 87. This is the number you need to put back
    into the Options value in order to turn off Ignore Other Applications. Note
    that the specific number will likely be different from computer to computer
    because the Option value holds six settings, so the specific number in it
    will depend on how the user has Excel configured on their computer.

  9. #9
    Joel
    Guest

    Re: Ignore Other Applications" setting

    For anyone still following this thread, here's what I came up with...

    I entered the following into Notepad, and saved it as an .INF file ( I
    called it "ExcelFilesWontOpenFix.inf" ):

    [Version]
    Signature=$CHICAGO$

    [DefaultInstall]
    BitReg=Bit.Settings

    [Bit.Settings]
    HKCU,Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Excel\Options,Options,0x00000001,0x40,0

    Then to run the file, I use the following VBScript:

    Dim WshShell, oExec, strCommandLine

    strCommandLine = "rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall
    132 \\MyServer\MyFolder\ExcelFilesWontOpenFix.inf"

    Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    Set oExec = WshShell.Exec(strCommandLine )

    MsgBox "Excel repaired!"

    ....of course, replacing '\\MyServer\MyFolder\' with either the PC folder or
    network location as required. I had our users run this from a network
    location, saving them a few clicks. This is the command line that Windows XP
    associates with installing the .INF file extension in the registry.

    And, if you haven't bought the "Microsoft Windows XP Registry Guide" by
    Jerry Honeycutt (ISBN 0-7356-1788-0), I strongly recommend it, giving credit
    for this fix where credit is due! Thanks to all of you for all of your help
    as well!

    Joel

  10. #10
    White Lake, MI
    MS-Off Ver

    Re: Ignore Other Applications" setting

    I know this thread is SUPER old, but I just came across it in my search for trying to automatically fix this issue with Excel so it's easier for other people around the office to fix themselves. I actually solved it on my own and thought I'd share if anyone's still trying to figure out a real quick and easy solution to this:
    save this in a VBS file:
    ________________________
    Dim args, objExcel

    Set args = wScript.Arguments
    Set objExcel = CreateObject("Excel.Application")

    objExcel.IgnoreRemoteRequests = False
    and then set up a batch file to run it:
    cscript C:\MyPath\ExcelFix.vbs
    exit