linked workbook issue

  1. #1
    Gary Keramidas
    Guest

    linked workbook issue

    i have a client that gave me 2 workbooks. 1 has some descriptions in column
    b. the other has some formulas that use the descriptions.

    so one of their formula might be ='[workbook.xls]sheet'!$B$3

    only partial text will populate the cell unless the workbook with the
    descriptions is actually loaded. i know it's not a cell length issue, some
    of the text is less than 100 characters.

    so, it the cell shows partial text, i then load the description workbook,
    the cell immediately contains all of the information from B3

    anyone know what would cause this? i am thinking it may be some sort of
    corruption.
    --

    Gary

  2. #2
    Gary Keramidas
    Guest

    Re: linked workbook issue

    it looks like most stop at 256 characters unless the sheet is loaded into
    memory, then the entire contents is displayed from the formula.

    does this make sense?

    --

    Gary

    news:%[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Gary Keramidas
    Guest

    Re: linked workbook issue

    could it be that this is somehow affecting the calculation until the sheet
    is loaded?
    Maximum Column width 255 characters

  4. #4

    Re: linked workbook issue

    the reference should contain the full path of the description file,
    e.g.
    ='D:\Documents and Settings\vasilis\Desktop\[1.xls]Sheet1'!$C$7

  5. #5
    Gary Keramidas
    Guest

    Re: linked workbook issue

    it does, i just didn't list it

    --

    Gary

  6. #6

    Re: linked workbook issue

    Excel will return up to 255 characters from a closed workbook.

    If you have a cell in a closed workbook that has less than that and you're not
    seeing all of it returned via your formula, make sure the columnwidth/rowheight
    is adjusted so you can see more.

  7. #7
    Gary Keramidas
    Guest

    Re: linked workbook issue

    "Excel will return up to 255 characters from a closed workbook."

    dave, that's the limitation i needed to know.

    --

    Gary

    news:[email protected]...