Telephone number data type?

  1. #1
    ChrisBat
    Guest

    Telephone number data type?

    Hi,

    I'm trying to write a program using a spreadsheet that has two columns for
    the telephone number: the first is the actual telephone number, but in some
    cases it refers to the data circuit and the actual tel no is in the second
    column. I can tell if the tel no is a circuit by the number being AREA CODE
    and then a 1, followed by 6 digits (for example, 4161334444). I need to
    figure out how to use the second column of telephone numbers when this
    happens (which is only about 3% of the time, but these are critical to my
    business). But for some reason, I cannot figure out what data type i need to
    use (I've tried string, variant, and integer) all to no avail...
    Right now, the code looks like this (feel free to laugh, i've been working
    on this for about 35 hours since Thursday morning and am a wee bit fried)...

    Dim Telno As String
    Dim Auxno As String

    If Range("Telno") = "5191*" Then
    Range("Auxno").Copy
    Range("Telno").Paste

    I would appreciate any help as soon as possible.....I need this program up
    and running by tomorrow afternoon...groan...
    Chris

  2. #2
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: Telephone number data type?

    I think you need to use text strings as in your example. You need to
    distinguish a circuit number from a phone number and you state a circuit
    number is an area code followed by a "1" followed by only six digits. This
    is 10 digits, the same as a phone number.

    Since you can't use length to distinguish, use the fourth character in the
    string:

    =MID(A1,4,1)

    If this is a "1", its a circuit number and get the phone number elsewhere.
    --
    Gary''s Student

  3. #3
    ChrisBat
    Guest

    RE: Telephone number data type?

    Boy, I've obviously been drinking too much coffee (or not
    enough......)....That's such a simple answer, why was I looking for something
    more complicated? :-)
    Thanks a lot,
    Chris

  4. #4
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: Telephone number data type?

    Thanks for the feed-back. Next time don't wait 35 hours to post.
    --
    Gary''s Student