can com port data be imported & sorted into cells?

  1. #1
    Radioz
    Guest

    can com port data be imported & sorted into cells?

    I have an external device that is tracking ID's for radio traffic. It sends
    out a 4 or 5 number ID to Com port 1 (9600,N,8,1). I would like it to
    automatically log, sort the data (last digit is a status bit), and time/date
    stamp the entry. is this possible?

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: can com port data be imported & sorted into cells?

    Here are some snippets copied from previous messaged related to using the
    serial port:

    The best way to do it is to use the MSComm control that comes with Visual
    Basic. If you want to see how this works, load and single step through the
    VBTerm sample that comes with it (should be in the \samples subdirectory; if
    not, I think you can download it from Microsoft's Visual Basic site).

    One important note, though, is that you must know the syntax of the commands
    to your meter (or other device), as sent via RS-232. Once you know those
    you can simply modify the VBTerm code to suit your own purposes. It's
    complex at first, but stick with it!

    "Poor Man's Serial Instant Messenger"
    http://www.htservices.com/Tools/Visu...unications.htm
    Visual Basic Serial Communications Example Tutorials Source Code Programs

    http://www.cpcug.org/user/clemenzi/t...s/SerialIO.htm
    Serial I/O (RS232)

    http://www.yes-tele.com/mscomm.html - MSComm

    Tom Ogilvy