record Personal Macro Workbook

  1. #1
    John Fitzgerald
    Guest

    record Personal Macro Workbook

    Hi. I cannot record to my personal macro workbook. When I attempt a
    recording, an error message "Personal Macro Workbook in the startup folder
    must stay open for recording." appears. Help anybody?

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    re: record Personal Macro Workbook

    is your personal.xls workbook open?

    Tom Ogilvy

    "John Fitzgerald" <John [email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    John Fitzgerald
    Guest

    re: record Personal Macro Workbook

    I have no way of knowing. I did a search of 'Personal.xls' which should be
    stored in the Program Files->Microsoft Office->Office->Excel->Startup I
    think?? with no results returned... I'm confused! I had some handy macros in
    that workbook and would hate to think it no longer exists...

  4. #4
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    re: record Personal Macro Workbook

    personal.xls is stored in the directory "xlStart" directory. This may
    vary by excel version and operating system combination.

    for me: (xl2003 on Windows XP Pro)
    ? workbooks("Personal.xls").FullName
    C:\Documents and Settings\OgilvyTW\Application
    Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART\PERSONAL.XLS

    Tom Ogilvy

    "John Fitzgerald" <[email protected]> wrote in

  5. #5

    re: record Personal Macro Workbook

    Maybe it was disabled...

    xl2002+ have the abililty to quarantine what it thinks are bad workbooks.

    They can keep track of them so that it doesn't even try to open them.

    If you look under Help|About MS Excel, you'll see a button called: "Disabled
    Items...".

    Check under there to see if it's marked not to open. You can enable it there,
    too.

    If the workbook is really bad, you'll want to put your backup copy in XLStart.