Efficient Copy/Paste

  1. #1
    William Benson
    Guest

    Efficient Copy/Paste

    Hi, I recently wrote someone a solution as shown below. The OP wanted to
    compare values in col A on two sheets -- Source and Dest. If the values were
    equal on any given row, he wanted contents from Columns I and K to be copied
    from Source to Dest for that row (to I and K, respectively).

    Because the ranges copied from are staggered and the ranges copied to are
    non-contiguous, I saw no way to add the cells to a range for bulk
    copy/paste -- so of course the solution takes a long time (the user said
    about 35,000 rows to check, but I am not sure how many cop/pastes would have
    resulted)

    Can the code be made more efficient in this case?

    Thanks!

    Sub CopyIdenticals()
    Dim rngSourceCompare As Range
    Dim c As Range

    On Error Resume Next
    Set rngSourceCompare = Application.InputBox _
    (prompt:="Select all cells in col A for comparison", _
    Type:=8)
    If rngSourceCompare Is Nothing Then
    Exit Sub
    End If

    If rngSourceCompare.Parent.Name <> "Source" Then
    MsgBox "Only choose col A values on sheet 'Source'"
    Exit Sub
    End If

    On Error GoTo 0
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    For Each c In rngSourceCompare

    If c.Value = Sheets("Dest").Range(c.Address).Value Then
    c.Offset(0, 8).Copy 'note: Col I
    Sheets("Dest").Range("I" & c.Row).PasteSpecial _
    Paste:=xlPasteValues
    c.Offset(0, 10).Copy 'note: Col K
    Sheets("Dest").Range("K" & c.Row).PasteSpecial _
    Paste:=xlPasteValues
    End If
    Next c
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
    End Sub

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Efficient Copy/Paste

    Sub CopyIdenticals()
    Dim rngSourceCompare As Range
    Dim rngDest as Range
    Dim v1, v2, v1IJK, v2IJK
    Dim i as Long
    On Error Resume Next
    Set rngSourceCompare = Application.InputBox _
    (prompt:="Select all cells in col A for comparison", _
    Type:=8)
    If rngSourceCompare Is Nothing Then
    Exit Sub
    End If

    If rngSourceCompare.Parent.Name <> "Source" Then
    MsgBox "Only choose col A values on sheet 'Source'"
    Exit Sub
    End If

    On Error GoTo 0
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    v1 = rngSourceCompare.Value
    rngDest = Worksheets("Dest").Range(rngsourceCompare.Address)
    v2 = rngDest.Value
    v1IJK = rngSourceCompare.Offset(0,8).Resize(,3).Value
    v2IJK = rng.Dest.Offset(0,8).Resize(,3).Formula
    for i = lbound(v1,1) to ubound(v1,1)
    if v1(i,1) = v2(i,1) then
    v2IJK(i,1) = v1IJK(i,1)
    v2IJK(i,3) = v1IJK(i,3)
    end if
    Next
    rngDest.Offset(0,8).Resize(,3).Formula = v2IJK
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Efficient Copy/Paste

    Probably ought to set calculation to manual as well.

  4. #4
    William Benson
    Guest

    Re: Efficient Copy/Paste

    Couple typos: rng.Dest should be rngDest, and since rngDest is a range,
    needed to use "Set" on the code line you used to assign it. Seems like you
    wrote this from your head?? I just wish I understood it Tom :-(

    Once I cleared up these, the improved performance was AMAZING!!! Wow.
    Thanks,

    Bill

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    William Benson
    Guest

    Re: Efficient Copy/Paste

    By George I think I've got it.

    So, you assigned all of the destination cells first to v2IJK, a N x 3
    array.

    v2IJK = rngDest.Offset(0, 8).Resize(, 3).Formula

    to preserve the cells that should not be over-written.

    and then, you change only the elements of the array that deserve to be
    changed.

    Then you just write back the contents of the revised array to the Dest
    range.

    rngDest.Offset(0, 8).Resize(, 3).Formula = v2IJK

    Miraculous!

    Thanks a million!

    news:uJa%[email protected]...