Apostrophe

  1. #1
    Ben
    Guest

    Apostrophe

    I am importing Excel data that has what seems to be blank cells but on closer
    inspection I can see an apostrphe in the formula bar. That's not a problem
    because I have written a macro to identify apostrophes and clear the contents
    of these cells.
    The mystery is that when the same data is imported on a friend's computer
    with the same version of Excel the apostrophe does not appear in his formula
    bar (although they are still non-blank cells) and so my macro will not work
    on his computer since it doesn't see the apostrophes. Although I can write a
    different macro in his case, I am interested to know what setting in Excel is
    responsible for showing apostrophes in blank cells on some computers but not
    others.

    Thank you

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Apostrophe

    A leading apostrophe is treated as a formatting character. To the best of
    my knowledge, there is no setting that would cause it not to be displayed in
    the formula bar if it exists.

    Perhaps you need to look at the data source and see if it contains such
    apostrophies.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Apostrophe

    Check Tools>Options>Transition, and see if the Transition navigation keys
    box is checked, if so, uncheck it.

    Bob Phillips

  4. #4
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Apostrophe

    Just for info, that didn't affect the visibility of a leading apostrophe in
    Excel 2003.

    Tom Ogilvy

  5. #5
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Apostrophe

    BTW, your macro should be flexible to cater for both situations. Check for a
    leading apostrophe, and only clear it if there. No different macro required.

    Bob Phillips

  6. #6
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Apostrophe

    One day, I will install 2003 <G>

    Bob

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7

    Re: Apostrophe

    If I had a formula that evaluated to "", and then converted to values, this
    setting showed that apostrophe.

    (also xl2003)

  8. #8

    Re: Apostrophe

    You've got another reply to your post in .excel

  9. #9
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Apostrophe

    Maybe that is what Bob meant -- then I withdraw my comment as I actually
    entered a single quote in the cell.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...