Moving cells and deleting rows

  1. #1
    Jim
    Guest

    Moving cells and deleting rows

    What is the best way to move the account number and name down one row and
    then delete the row where the account number and name were?

    Acct # Name
    2077 David Aaronson Previous Balance: $604.89 Pymts/Adj: $604.89
    New Charges: $269.34 Ending Balance: $269.34
    Amount Due: $269.34 Balances by Age: $269.34 $0.00 $0.00 $0.00
    $0.00 $0.00 $0.00
    46 Steve Albert Previous Balance: $708.96 Pymts/Adj: $318.96 New
    Charges: $365.93- Ending Balance: $24.07

    Thanks in advance for any help.

    Jim

  2. #2
    R.VENKATARAMAN
    Guest

    Re: Moving cells and deleting rows

    Perhap I have not understood. let me see you have
    a,s ,d,f,g,h
    in A1 B1 C1 D1 E1 F1
    now you want to bring down only a and s to the next row
    then you highlight A1 B1 and right click
    click <insert>
    choose<shift cells down>
    clcik ok
    only a and s will be shifted down others d,f,g,h will remain in first row
    the first two cells in the first row will be blank
    so firsts row can be deleted.
    if you highlight the entries in the first column and edit-goto-blanks
    the blanks in the first column will be hightlighted and you can delete those
    rows.
    if you have large data you can create a macro

    suppose you want to shift the whole row down
    then you select A1
    righclick click<insert>
    choose both
    <shift cells down> and <entire row>
    then the whole first row comes down by one row and the first row will be
    blank
    after you have done all the operations you can sort (e.g. according to first
    column) then the blank rows will come after the entered rows;

    do this experiment in a new spreadsheet you will get hang of it.
    then you can use this expereince to your problem.

    If you have large data to manipulate you can create a macro of these steps
    in either case and then modify to suit you.

    --
    remove $$$ from email addresss to send email

    ================================

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    R.VENKATARAMAN

  4. #4
    Jim
    Guest

    Re: Moving cells and deleting rows

    The spreadsheet has many rows and needs a macro.

    The name and account number are in column A and B on the first row
    encountered and the

    A1 B1
    2077 David Aaronson

    C2 D2 E2 F2 G2
    H2
    Amount Due: $269.34 Balances by Age: $269.34 $0.00 $0.00

    So I want to move the data in A1 and B1 to A2 and B2 and then delete row 1
    then do the same thing for the next name until all the names are processed.

    Jim

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    R.VENKATARAMAN
    Guest

    Re: Moving cells and deleting rows

    David Mcritchie (MVP) has got an elegant macro called <pushdown>
    the url is
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/pushdown.htm

    you can study that and modify that to suity you.