VBA Script in Excel Stalls Out On It's Own After Opening Secondary Excel File

  1. #1
    SilentThunder
    Guest

    VBA Script in Excel Stalls Out On It's Own After Opening Secondary Excel File

    Hey everyone,
    I'm having a bit of a problem with a bit of VBA code that I've got

    going on in an Excel File. Basically, the code that I have set up is
    supposed to open a specific file, highlight and copy a range of cells,
    the go back to the code's host (excel) file and paste those cells in
    there. The problem I'm having is that as soon as I programatically
    open up that second file, the script just stops running as if it came
    up against the "End sub" command. I've tries eberything that I can
    think of, but nothing seems to make any difference. I've posted a bit
    of the script below. If any of you can see what I'm doing wrong or
    could make some other suggestion it would bve greatly appreciatted.
    Thanks.

    Code:
    'The following code will open the newly created xls file and move all
    of the needed data values first to the "Conversion"
    'sheet, and then copy the converted data to the "Output" sheet of this
    workbook
    'Open the newly exported excel file and copy the relevant data
    Workbooks.Open Filename:="H:\TeamLead\00u7735\Scripts\ScriptOutput\" &
    intAgentName & ".xls"
    Windows(intAgentName & ".xls").Activate
    Sheets(intAgentName).Select
    Range("B3:U3").Select
    Selection.Copy
    'Paste it into this file on the conversino page
    Windows("ABC Scripting Automation.xls").Activate
    Sheets("Conversion").Select
    Range("A2:T2").Select
    Selection.Paste
    'Copy the converted data to the Final Output page
    Range("A13:T13").Select
    Selection.Copy
    Sheets("Output").Select
    'Paste it to a row whose number is based on the counter variable
    Range("B" & intCounter + 2 & ":U" & intCounter + 2).Select
    SkipBlanks:=False, Transpose:=False
    Range("A" & intCounter + 2).Select
    ActiveCell.Value = intAgentName
    'Close the exported Excel file
    Windows(intAgentName & ".xls").Activate
    ActiveWorkbook.Close
    Windows("ABC Scripting Automation.xls").Activate

  2. #2
    Jim Cone
    Guest

    Re: VBA Script in Excel Stalls Out On It's Own After Opening Secondary Excel File

    S,
    Things to consider...

    Do you have events enabled?
    Are there any Workbook_Open or Workbook_SheetActivate
    events in the workbook?
    Could Excel be displaying a dialog box that you don't know about?
    That could occur if the workbook requires a password or if the workbook
    is "Read Only". The Open method has arguments to cover both of
    those situations.
    I see you mention the "newly created file". If it was just created,
    why is it closed? Just leave it open and you shouldn't have the problem?
    What do you mean by "just stops running". Have you stepped thru
    the code to try to determine what is happening?

    Jim Cone
    San Francisco, USA

    news:[email protected]...