Data Validation Issue/question

  1. #1
    Bret
    Guest

    Data Validation Issue/question

    I have a spreadsheet with 7 columns. Each of these columns has its own data
    validations. The validations work beautifully when a user enters into
    individual cells. I have always loved this Excel feature. However Im trying
    to make sure the users have no way of overriding the validations since this
    data is uploaded into another database.
    To test this I took another spreadsheet of data with data totally unrelated
    to the spreadsheets with all my validations, I copied 7 columns of about 20
    rows and just pasted it into this spreadsheet The result is all this pasted
    data overrode every validations in every column, text lenghts, numerics,
    alphas, etc validations all were violated. Is this a limitation for the data
    validation process, a bug? Please advise.

    thank you very much for any assistance.
    Bret

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Data Validation Issue/question

    Validation is a form of formatting and pretty much follows the same rules.

    It can be pasted over like formatting.

    Perhaps you want to unlock your cells and protect your sheet.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...