INSERT INTO sql statement causing error

  1. #1
    Michael Malinsky
    Guest

    INSERT INTO sql statement causing error

    I have the following SQL statement:

    statement = "INSERT INTO Table1 (Field1, Field2, Field3)" & _
    " VALUES ('" & ComboBox1 & "', " & ListBox1 & ", '" & ListBox2 & "')"

    I have a compound key in that the combination of Field1, Field2, and
    Field3 must be a unique combination in the table. When the combination
    is unique, everything is fine, when the combination is not unique, the
    code throws an error, which it should. I'm having trouble handling the
    error and am looking for some help.

    The specific error is:

    Run time error '-2147467259 (80004005)':
    The changes you requested to the table were not successful because
    they would create duplicate values in the index, primary key or
    relationship. Change the data in the field or fields that contain
    duplicate data, remove the index, or redefine the index to permit
    duplicate entries and try again.

    Again, the error is properly generating, I'm just having trouble
    handling it. I think there must be some way to handle it using On
    Error Goto, but I can't figure it out.

    Any help is appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Mike.

  2. #2
    Tim Williams
    Guest

    Re: INSERT INTO sql statement causing error

    Show the code which runs the SQL - easier to change existing code than to
    write a whole "example" sub...

    Tim

    --
    Tim Williams