Getting macro to record keystrokes instead of cell contents

  1. #1

    Macro to convert OMNIStations negatives to Excel format

    I need to paste data into Excel from OMNIStation to do roll-ups on specific fields. But OMNIStation designates negative numbers with a minus sign at the end of the number (e.g., "$10,236.60-"). So, I tried recording a macro to remove the minus sign at the end and put it at the beginning, at which point Excel then recognizes the number as a negative value. Problem is, Excel doesn't record the keystrokes, rather it is recording the contents of the cell...
    That means when I run the macro on the next negative value cell it just copies the same value into that cell. Not much help. Is there a way to get Excel to record the actual keystrokes and not treat this as a formula?
    Last edited by dbe4876; 09-21-2005 at 11:07 AM.

  2. #2
    AvP11
    Guest

    RE: Getting macro to record keystrokes instead of cell contents

    i think the easiest way to do it is writing a loop checking all data in your
    sheet.
    Copy this module into your visual basic editor:

    Sub ChangeMinusSign()
    Dim x As Integer, y As Integer, OldNumber As String, NewNumber As Long
    For x = 1 To 500 ' change the 500 to the max of rows
    For y = 1 To 50 ' change 50 to the max of columns
    If Right(Cells(x, y).Text, 1) = "-" Then '
    check if the most right character is the minus sign
    OldNumber = "-" & Left(Cells(x, y).Text, Len(Cells(x,
    y).Text) - 1) ' writes a minus sign, followed by the number, without the
    right standing minus sign
    OldNumber = Replace(OldNumber, ",", ".") 'This works, if
    decimal separator is comma. If dot (".") remove this line
    Cells(x, y).Formula = OldNumber
    End If
    Next
    Next
    End Sub

  3. #3

    Macro to convert OMNIStations negatives to Excel format

    Thanks much. That got us headed in the right direction. One of my compradres in the office tweaked the code a little...
    Feel free to use it as needed.