Runtime error 424 - Object required

  1. #1

    Arrow Runtime error 424 - Object required

    Hello

    I am getting the Runtime 424 error with the code below. I am a newbie and have looked at help but cannot understand how I can modify the code below to give me what I wana do.

    Purpose of the code:

    User selects a file->Open the file->copy over A10 to A10 of the source file

    Thanks in advance

    Sub test()

    Dim file_open As Variant

    file_open = Application.GetOpenFilename("Excel Files (*.xls), *.xls")

    Workbooks.Open Filename:=file_open

    ' open the source workbook, read only
    With ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Sheet1")
    ' read data from the source workbook
    .Range("A10").Formula = file_open.Worksheets("PM").Range("A10").Formula

    End With
    file_open.Close False ' close the source workbook without saving any changes
    Set file_open = Nothing ' free memory
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True ' turn on the screen updating
    End Sub

  2. #2
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    RE: Runtime error 424 - Object required

    Give this a try...

    Sub test()

    Dim file_open As Variant
    Dim wbkDestination as workbook

    file_open = Application.GetOpenFilename("Excel Files (*.xls),
    *.xls")

    Workbooks.Open Filename:=file_open
    set wbkDestination = Activeworkbook
    ' open the source workbook, read only
    With ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Sheet1")
    ' read data from the source workbook
    ..Range("A10").Formula =
    wbkDestination.Worksheets("PM").Range("A10").Formula

    End With
    wbkDestination.Close False ' close the source workbook without saving
    any changes
    Set wbkDestination = Nothing ' free memory
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True ' turn on the screen updating

    HTH...

    Jim Thomlinson