create a button and assign a macro

  1. #1
    Dean
    Guest

    create a button and assign a macro

    I want to create buttons (in the body of my worksheet)and assign existing
    macros to them and forget how. EXCEL help doesn't seem to tell me what I do
    to create a button, unless it is within a toolbar, which I don't want. I
    think the assigning macro, was trivial , something gets right clicked as I
    recall

    Help please!

    Thanks!
    Dean

  2. #2
    Paul B
    Guest

    Re: create a button and assign a macro

    Dean, view, toolbars, forms, click on the button then click on your sheet,
    the assign macro box will then come up, pick the one you want
    --
    Paul B
    Using Excel 2002 & 2003

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: create a button and assign a macro

    Show the Forms toolbar.
    Use the button from there.
    You can assign the macro right after you create the button or rightclick on the
    button and select Assign macro.

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: create a button and assign a macro

    Dean

    Open the Forms Toolbar and click on the button icon.

    Draw a button on your sheet and right-click and "Assign Macro".

    Note: most any object can be used as a button. Drawing object, textbox
    object, picture from file, Word Art can all have macros assigned.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  5. #5
    Dean
    Guest

    Re: create a button and assign a macro

    Thank you all.

  6. #6
    Paul B
    Guest

    Re: create a button and assign a macro

    Your welcome

  7. #7
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    RE: create a button and assign a macro

    In Excel you want to make the forms toolbar visible. From this toolbar you
    can grab the button icon and drag it onto you spreadsheet. Once added you
    will be prompted to rename the button and assign a macro to it.
    --
    HTH...

    Jim Thomlinson

  8. #8
    Dean
    Guest

    Re: create a button and assign a macro

    Actually, a follow-up: Once I use the macros to populate the template
    worksheet, I make a copy of it, rename that, then clear out all the data in
    the original template worksheet, and start anew with different data.
    However, after I've made each renamed copy, I want to remove the macro
    buttons (on the copies) so a receiver of the file doesn't accidentally click
    on them. How do I remove them? I see that I can move them and reduce their
    size to virtually zero (also, I can edit out the text on the button, but
    don't know how to completely delete the square buttons.

    Thanks all!
    Dean