Odd fill down formula macro question

  1. #1
    jct
    Guest

    Odd fill down formula macro question

    I've searched for a solution similar to my dilema, but have not yet found
    it.... I'm trying to set up a macro to take an exported spreadsheet from our
    company software and modify it so the data can be easily analyzed with a
    pivot table. The data exports like it would print the report, so there are
    blank cells, like such:

    Col A Col B Col C
    New Park
    Alarms 4253
    Appliances 5457
    Flooring 5487
    Oak Park 2
    Alarms 3578
    Cabinet Supplier 4872

    What I'd like to accomplish is this:

    Step 1
    Insert a column before Col A (making Col A now Col B)

    Step 2
    Copy (what is now) B2 to A2

    Step 3
    Insert a fomula to populate data from Col B into Col A, such as
    = If(IsBlank(B3),A2,B3)
    then fill down Col A, with the following results:

    Col A Col B Col C Col D
    New Park New Park
    New Park Alarms 4253
    New Park Appliances 5457
    New Park Flooring 5487
    Oak Park 2 Oak Park 2
    Oak Park 2 Alarms 3578
    Oak Park 2 Cabinet Supplier 4872

    With this, I can then use a pivot table to analyze data in Cols A, C & D.

    I don't have a pre-defined range for the exported report. Problem with my
    formula is that it won't detect the end of the data, but will continue
    filling in Col A. The report exports with blank cells in each column. How can
    I automate the steps outlined above and identify where to end the macro?

    Thanks much!
    JCT

    PS - I've tried to simulate the data in columns. If it doesn't come across
    clearly, let me know. I'm open to another solution. I just need to be able to
    analyze the exported data. Thx.

  2. #2
    Michael Smith
    Guest

    Re: Odd fill down formula macro question

    So I think your prob is the length of your sheet changes..so fill down
    doesn't work necessarily. Sometimes what I'll do is dim the length of
    the sheet like this.
    Lets say you have a formula in cell A2 that you want copied down.

    Range("Z1").Formula = "=COUNTA(A:A)"
    Dim LengthofSheet
    LengthofSheet = Range("Z1").Text

    Range("a2").Copy
    Range("a3:a" & LengthofSheet).Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste

    Good luck!
    -Mike

  3. #3
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Odd fill down formula macro question

    Why do you need to create another column. You can use fill down
    or an equivalent macro to copy the populated cells in column A down.
    Replicate values into blank cells (#fill_empty)
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel...htm#fill_empty
    ---
    HTH,

  4. #4
    jct
    Guest

    Re: Odd fill down formula macro question

    Hey, that's a handy tool I wasn't aware of! (Fumbling my way through
    programming... but eager to learn more). I'll give it a try.

    Thank you.

  5. #5
    jct
    Guest

    Re: Odd fill down formula macro question

    David - This works great, and was an easy solution. Thanks for the resource.