Changing embedded file name

  1. #1
    Richard
    Guest

    Changing embedded file name

    I've been left a workbook containing many sheets, most of which contain
    several reference to particular cells in a previous month's copy of the
    workbook.

    So for instance if the current workbook is called say "Cash September
    2005.xls", after this is 'rolled over' to the next month via a macro
    which clears out several ranges, it saves as a new name "Cash October
    2005.xls"

    There are a hundreds of cells which are opening cash balances and which
    are dependent on the previous month's workbook closing balance. So for
    instance B10 on Sheet1 of the September Workbook contains a formula

    ='G:\Cash\[Cash August 2005.xls]Sheet1'!$B$11

    When the September workbook is rolled over and becomes the October
    Workbook, the formula in B10 still refers to August. I need to add some
    code to the rollover macro so that the formula changes to:

    ='G:\Cash\[Cash September 2005.xls]Sheet1'!$B$11

    i.e. I just need to change the reference to the month in the formula
    since the layout of the workbook doesn't change. I've created variable
    names which contain the text "Cash August 2005.xls" (lastfname), and
    its equivalent "Cash September 2005.xls" (obalfname), and have tried to
    use these in some Find and Replace code. However when the macro runs:
    i.e.

    Cells.Replace what:=Range("lastfname"), replacement:=Range("obalfname")

    I get an Update pop up Window which is requiring me to select the
    filename for each replace it finds. There are a hundred or so of these
    balances to replace and I need the code to run untouched by human hands
    as it were. (Incidentally does anyone know how to close these update
    windows without having to select a file name? It was driving me mad
    just now since the Cancel or X close didn't seem to have any effect,
    and I had to step through all the Replaces on a sheet before the macro
    would finish).

    a) is this the best approach to adopt or can someone suggest a better
    way? I'm thinking for instance that it might be better to move all the
    closing balances into the opening balance cells as values, immediately
    prior to the rollover so that I avoid links to other workbooks. In
    which case I'd need to be able to identify all the opening and closing
    balance cells, which might be more complicated than finding specific
    text since it seems inelegant to have to create hundreds of individual
    range names

    b) if the Find/Replace is the best way to proceed, what code should I
    use in order to replace these strings across all the relevant sheets,
    so that the user doesn't have to continually click on file names. If it
    makes any difference, not all the sheets have balances on them, but if
    it's just as easy to loop through all the sheets I could live with
    that.

    If responding to the ng, please email to me as well.

    Many thanks in advance.

    Richard Buttrey

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Changing embedded file name

    Edit=>Links select the link and do Change source.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Richard Buttrey

    From: Tom Ogilvy
    Date Posted: 9/27/2005 12:29:00 PM

    Edit=>Links select the link and do Change source.

    Tom Ogilvy

    Tom, many thanks.

    The obvious was once more staring me in the face

    Rgds,

    Richard Buttrey
    Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK