Create sequential file name for uploaded template

  1. #1
    Lisa Alex
    Guest

    Create sequential file name for uploaded template

    I have an Excel template that I would like to put on our intranet. I want it
    to create a unique, sequential file name each time it is uploaded, as well as
    put that unique number in a cell within the template. For example, I want the
    numbering to start with 1001. When someone uploads the file, the file name
    will be 1001.xls and the document number cell will be 1001. The next person
    that uploads the file will be 1002.xls.

  2. #2
    Tim Williams
    Guest

    Re: Create sequential file name for uploaded template

    How is it being uploaded? Do you have a routine which saves the file to a
    specific location?
    Is there only one copy or does >1 copy exist?

    --
    Tim Williams
    Palo Alto, CA

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Lisa Alex
    Guest

    Re: Create sequential file name for uploaded template

    It will be stored on the intranet in one place with only one copy. They will
    have the option as to where they want to store the file (desktop, My
    Documents, etc.).

  4. #4
    Tim Williams
    Guest

    Re: Create sequential file name for uploaded template

    (untested)
    const F_PATH as string="\\servername\folder\subfolder\"
    dim i as integer

    i=1001

    do while Dir(F_PATH & cstr(i) & ".xls")<>""
    i=i+1
    loop

    thisworkbook.sheets("sheet1").range("A1").value=i
    thisworkbook.saveas F_PATH & cstr(i) & ".xls"

    Tim.

    --
    Tim Williams
    Palo Alto, CA