Referencing a cell when using VLOOKUP

  1. #1

    Referencing a cell when using VLOOKUP

    Hello all

    Does anybody know how i can replace WE 08 27 05 in the table_array part of the formula below with a reference to a cell?

    The idea is that I don't have to manually update the links everytime i want to look at a different week just the relevant cell.

    =VLOOKUP(D2,'I:\Costs\WE actuals\Date Format MMDDYY\[WE 08 27 05.xls]Customer'!$1:$65536,5,FALSE)

    Regards

    Adrian

  2. #2
    Vacation's Over
    Guest

    RE: Referencing a cell when using VLOOKUP

    concatenate

    prety sure that if you use concatenate and replace teh week code with a cell
    referenceand then change the cell reference then the Vlooup will reflect the
    change.

    =VLOOKUP(D2,Concatenate(" 'I:\Costs\WE actuals\Date Format MMDDYY\[ + A3 +
    ..xls]Customer'!$1:$65536",5,FALSE)

    Air code = you may have syntax issues with teh quotes but the approach is
    sound...

  3. #3
    Thanks for the reply

    I have tried this approach and checked the syntax etc and no joy. Its been a long term problem which i can't seem to find a solution for.

    Regards

    Adrian

  4. #4

    Re: Referencing a cell when using VLOOKUP

    The function you want to use is =indirect().

    The bad news is that =indirect() will return an error if that other workbook
    isn't open.

    Harlan Grove wrote a UDF called PULL that will retrieve the value from a closed
    workbook.

    You can find the function at Harlan's FTP site:
    ftp://members.aol.com/hrlngrv/
    Look for pull.zip

  5. #5
    Vacation's Over
    Guest

    Re: Referencing a cell when using VLOOKUP

    Harlan's FTP has "Some Assembly required"

    You might use Ron's Code to pull data from diferent files onto a master
    sheet in your book then Vlookup to select the right data from the Master sheet

    http://www.rondebruin.nl/summary.htm

  6. #6

    Late thabk you

    Thanks Dave

    I have been ill for a while and just got back to this project (forgot i had posted the query but came across it when searching the site).

    I will give it a try.

    Regards

    Adrian

  7. #7

    Re: Referencing a cell when using VLOOKUP

    You may want to verify that you have Harlan's latest and greatest version of
    Pull.