Linked sheet design theory

  1. #1
    Steve
    Guest

    Linked sheet design theory

    Hi

    I'm creating a project to parse a .txt file of attendance information into a
    workbook. Details include EmplID. There is a need to link this to related
    data.

    First test to link to one workbook using code to generate Index & Match
    formulae produced relatively slow results (about a minute or so to link
    around 4000 lines. Is there a better way to solve this?

    Steve

  2. #2
    Vacation's Over
    Guest

    RE: Linked sheet design theory

    need lots more information on how and what you did. post code

    otherwise generic:
    application.screenupdating = false 'then true
    application.calculation = xlmanual ' then xlautomatic
    write to an array then write all to sheet

    search this group for "efficient"

  3. #3
    Steve
    Guest

    Re: Linked sheet design theory

    I always stop screenupdating and calculations.

    Didn't bring the sheet home from work. It's more complex than the following
    but this should give the general idea:

    For i = 2 to RowCount
    Range ("B" & i).formula = ("=INDEX(Filepath!Database,MATCH(B" & i &
    ",Database),1)"
    Next i

    Will running to array be quicker? Might it be quicker to copy across the
    external reference data to a spare worksheet and reference it there before
    turning formulae to value and deleting imported data?

    At most, I envisage 10,000 lines or data and 500 lines of lookup.

    Steve

    news:[email protected]...