Pass Excel User License to Variable

  1. #1
    ExcelMonkey
    Guest

    Pass Excel User License to Variable

    I want to check and see if the computer that is running a macro is in fact a
    computer with a copy of Excel registered to my firm. How do you extract the
    Excel License from Excel. I want to pass the license to a variable. For
    Example, if the Excel on my computer is licensed to

    ExcelMonkey
    ABC Co
    Prodcut ID: 1234124-21341243-1431243

    I want to extract and pass "ABC Co" to a variable.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Pass Excel User License to Variable

    One possibility might be
    Thisworkbook.BuiltinDocumentProperties("Company").Value

    but this is a workbook level property and I am not sure if it is affected if
    the workbook is opened in a different location than where it was created --
    but I doubt it, so this may not be of much use.

    You would then have to go to the registry as far as I know:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290528/
    How to change the company name and user name in Office XP programs

    How to change the company name and user name in the About <program name>
    window after you install Office 2000

    How to minimize metadata in Microsoft Excel workbooks

    there has been plenty of code posted in the newgroup in the past on reading
    registry entries, so you should be able to find some in Google Groups for
    this newsgroup.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Pass Excel User License to Variable

    The value is going to be in the registry.

    I have just looked in mine, and one problem is that there are many versions
    of Office and you need to look at all possibilities.

    To further complicate it, I have Excel 97, 2000 and 2002 on my machine. And
    worse, under Office 10, I have 3 GUIDs each with a different product-id.

    I cannot see an easy way to determine which to out-select.

    Bob Phillips