Macro with Drive-change?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Daniel R. Young
    Guest

    Macro with Drive-change?

    I have a macro where it will open a word document from the F: drive and paste
    a selection to it.

    I was wondering if there is a general way to make a drive (the word doc
    should be on the CD/dvd drive) so it won't error if the drive is named
    differently then my macro code?

    Is there a better way I should do this, such as make someone save a folder
    to there desktop or something? Any recommendations?

    Thank you,

    Daniel Young

  2. #2
    Jim Rech
    Guest

    Re: Macro with Drive-change?

    Typically I ask the user where a file is when its local is not certain. For
    example with Application.GetOpenFilename.

    --
    Jim
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Daniel R. Young
    Guest

    Re: Macro with Drive-change?

    Jim,
    I am sorry, I am new to this, but what do you mean? If this product is on a
    CD and can be used by mulitple computers, the drives may be different. Does
    the Application.GetOpenFilename search for the file or something?

    Thank you,
    Dan

  4. #4
    Jim Rech
    Guest

    Re: Macro with Drive-change?

    It does exactly what Excel's File, Open dialog does - it gives the user an
    opportunity to select the file through a convenient dialog. Play with this
    to see if it helps. Check it out in VB Help, there are examples there you
    can run.

    --
    Jim
    "Daniel R. Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | Jim,
    | I am sorry, I am new to this, but what do you mean? If this product is on
    | CD and can be used by mulitple computers, the drives may be different.
    Does
    | the Application.GetOpenFilename search for the file or something?
    |
    | Thank you,
    | Dan
    |
    | "Jim Rech" wrote:
    |
    | > Typically I ask the user where a file is when its local is not certain.
    For
    | > example with Application.GetOpenFilename.
    | >
    | > --
    | > Jim
    | > "Daniel R. Young" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message
    | > news:[email protected]...
    | > |I have a macro where it will open a word document from the F: drive and
    | > paste
    | > | a selection to it.
    | > |
    | > | I was wondering if there is a general way to make a drive (the word
    doc
    | > | should be on the CD/dvd drive) so it won't error if the drive is named
    | > | differently then my macro code?
    | > |
    | > | Is there a better way I should do this, such as make someone save a
    folder
    | > | to there desktop or something? Any recommendations?
    | > |
    | > | Thank you,
    | > |