Linking to external workbook

  1. #1
    Steve
    Guest

    Linking to external workbook

    Sorry if you've read this. However, I didn't see the question appear in my
    reader.

    I have a project that includes parsing a .txt file into Excel. Included in
    the fields imported is an EmplID. I need to retrieve data from separate
    workbooks based on this. My experiment with Index and Match produced slow
    results when linked to one other workbook (about a minute for 4000 records).
    I am currently looping using i to increment the row number in the lookup
    formula.

    Is there a faster method (either not using Index/Match or not looping)?

    Steve

    Steve

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Linking to external workbook

    If you open the other workbook, things will probably go a lot faster.

    Tom Ogilvy

  3. #3
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Linking to external workbook

    Also, you can enter a row oriented formula template in one command

    Range("B2:B100").formula =
    "=Index([Book1.xls]Sheet1!$A$1:$A$1000,Match(A2,[Book1.xls]Sheet1!$F$1:$F$10
    0,0),1)"

    as an example

  4. #4
    Steve
    Guest

    Re: Linking to external workbook

    Tom
    Thank you ... for this and the tip to open the other workbook.

    When testing, I noted that writing a loop within a workbook was far quicker
    than the code I have looping to an external workbook. Would I be correct in
    thinking each time the formula is written during a loop, Excel look for the
    external connection, despite calculations and screen updating being off?

    Steve

    news:Ofq%[email protected]...