Variable table array name in VLOOKUP

  1. #1
    DoctorG
    Guest

    Variable table array name in VLOOKUP

    I need to retrieve values from an external spreadsheet table, but this table
    is variable (one of many). Can anyone help with specifying a variable table
    array name??

    Example :

    field1 = 1
    dbname = vlookup(field1;internal_table;fieldindex) -->result = "DataArea2"
    (or DataArea3 etc)

    I need to access DataArea2 (or DataArea3 etc) in C:\WORK\external.xls, which
    is an external spreadsheet...

    field2 = "something"
    my_problem=vlookup(field2;'C:\WORK\external.xls'!&dbname;otherfieldindex)

    How can I stuff the contents of variable dbname in the VLOOKUP syntax??

  2. #2
    DoctorG
    Guest

    RE: Variable table array name in VLOOKUP

    HELLO!!! Anyone???

    Please advise - if this is impossible I should change the logic of my
    spreadsheet. ANY answer will be deeply appreciated

  3. #3
    Rbp9ad
    Guest

    Re: Variable table array name in VLOOKUP

    I very new to programming so I might not now exactly what you are asking but
    I had a similar problem. Dave Peterson wrote some code for me that works for
    what I needed. The strings where you can find this have the subject line
    news:[email protected]...