Mathematical Time Conversion Formula

  1. #1
    stacy
    Guest

    Mathematical Time Conversion Formula

    Hello Everyone...

    I have a question about converting a segment of time between minutes,
    and 100th's. Let me try to explain more clearly.

    We have two places that keeps track of an employee's earned time off
    (ETO). On their pay stub, the amount is tracked in 100th's of an hour
    (may not be saying that correctly). So, an employee can have 21.84
    hours of ETO, but this is actually 21 hours and 50 minutes (.84*.6).
    So, in one location, the employee can see 21.84 hours, and in another
    they see 21.50 hours... Here in lies the issue... I can easily take the
    ..xx numbers and multiply by .6 to convert to actual minutes. However,
    how can I write a formaula that looks at the whole number (21.84), and
    converts it in another cell to read 21.50? Is there an easy way?

    Cell A1 Cell A2
    21.84 (formula that shows 21.50)

    As always, thanks ahead of time for any assistance.

  2. #2
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: Mathematical Time Conversion Formula

    If 21.84 is in A1, then

    =60*(A1-INT(A1))/100+INT(A1)

    will get the desired value
    --
    Gary's Student

  3. #3
    stacy
    Guest

    Re: Mathematical Time Conversion Formula

    Awesome!! I know this was probably trivial, but it is exactly what I
    needed!!! Thanks again for sharing this!!!

  4. #4

    Re: Mathematical Time Conversion Formula

    Stacy:

    This was a bit tougher than I thought but this formula does the
    trick....

    =SUM(ROUNDDOWN(_100ths,0))+ROUND(SUM(_100ths,-SUM(ROUNDDOWN(_100ths,0)))*0.6,2)

    I like to use Named Ranges in Big Formulas, they make more sense.
    If you simply enter "A1" wherever you see "_100ths" then this will
    solve your quandry...Mark

  5. #5

    Help with sum

    I had a similar problem as Stacey. I enter data as 60ths of an hour, ex. 5.30 and 2.30, but the total comes out as 7.6 and I need it to read 8.0 as eight hours worked. Is the format wrong or is there simply a calculation I can enter to convert the time?

    Thanks in advance.
    chuck

  6. #6
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Mathematical Time Conversion Formula

    entering 2.30 instead of 2:30 certainly is wrong.

    Time is measured as a fraction of a day. if you
    have a time of 8:00 and you want to convert to a decimal
    number you would multiply by 24.

    More information on Date and Time
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/datetime.htm
    ---
    HTH,

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Mathematical Time Conversion Formula

    If you have the analysis toolpak installed, you can use

    A1: 5.30
    B1: 2.30

    =DOLLARFR(DOLLARDE(A1,60)+DOLLARDE(B1,60),60)

    Tom Ogilvy