Accessing Microsoft Access Tables

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor

    Accessing Microsoft Access Tables

    Quick question, is there a way to tell Excel to open a particular MS Access database in the background when this Excel file opens? I have a form built in Excel that will be putting information into the Access database...

  2. #2
    PaulD
    Guest

    Re: Accessing Microsoft Access Tables

    "dok112" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...
    :
    : Quick question, is there a way to tell Excel to open a particular MS
    : Access database in the background when this Excel file opens? I have a
    : form built in Excel that will be putting information into the Access
    : database...

    Excel has a Workbook_Open event that fires when you open the workbook. Not
    sure what you mean by 'open'? Are you looking to start Access or just create
    a connection to a database?
    Paul D

  3. #3
    Sean Connolly
    Guest

    RE: Accessing Microsoft Access Tables

    Hi,

    Sorry to answer a question with a question, but why do you want MS Access
    open? You say you will be "putting information into Access", but if I/we can
    understand better what is is that you are trying to achieve, we'll probably
    be able to help you better.

    For example, you can link Excel worksheets and/or named ranges to tables in
    Access by creating 'linked tables' in Access. Then enter your data into your
    Excel worksheet or named range (only) and these Access 'linked tables' will
    always reflect the data in Excel.

    Other effective methods exist (such as ADODB/OLEDB), but are a bit more
    complex and require some additional skills.

    In short, maybe you could post back with a bit more information as to the
    problem it is that you're trying to solve. I'm sure there are many here who
    will be happy to offer suggested solutions (myself included).

    Cheers and Regards, Sean.

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    Basically,

    I have been given a task at work, and there are some flaws in the workbook that I'm trying to repair. I have a workbook, that has a search function built into the actual book. It is going to be searching a table in an Access file. Also, if it doesn't find that item in Access, it pop's up a form that will let you enter the information into Access as a new entry. I would have it use a basic query in Access, however the people using it, are not exactly Access literate, so it would be a bit confusing for them. Therefore, the prior person working on this, used excel, they figured it would be easier.

    The basic layout is below.

    On the worksheet "BITE_NOL", there is textbox1, and commandbutton1, when commandbutton1 is clicked, it is going to initiate a search of the Access Table "BITE_FNOL" which is in the Access file "Master_Log". It will be searching in "FTID" for the Federal Tax ID of a particular company we do business with. If it doesn't find it, then Excel will prompt the user to enter the information into the form "First_BITE", and once they finish entering the info into "First_BITE", they will click commandbutton1 on that page, and it will add the info to "BITE_NOL" in the specified fields, associated with the form information...

    I have a pretty good grasp of Excel, and am starting to learn the whole process of Access, so any help will be greatly appreciated!!