Rounding up?

  1. #1

    Rounding up?

    Hello,

    I have a sheet that splits a number up over several collums by a percentage then adds data from other collums.

    The percentage splits, which are decimals all add up to 100 when summed, however, the total of the number when split is short a few decimal places. I think this may have something to do with rounding up.

    Can anyone make anysence of this??

    =IF((($AF41*FL$4)-($AF41*FL$4))>0.2499,CEILING(($AF41*FL$4),0.5),IF(($AF41*FL$4)>0,($AF41*FL$4),0))

    Thanks,

    Sam

  2. #2
    K Dales
    Guest

    RE: Rounding up?

    I will try to translate the formula into English:
    Take the number in AF41 and multiply it by what is in FL4. Let's call that
    X. If X minus itself is greater than 0.2499, round it to the nearest 0.5.
    Otherwise, if it is greater than zero keep it as it is; if it is zero or less
    make it zero.

    One thing seems odd right from the start: ($AF41*FL$4)-($AF41*FL$4) is
    always going to be zero. Granted, rounding may make it "off" a little, but
    never by as much as 0.2499, so the first part of this IF statement seems to
    be non-functional to me. The CEILING part of the IF statement will never be
    invoked. So I think there is something wrong here. But without knowing the
    details of how you need to split your number it is hard to know how it needs
    to be fixed.
    --
    - K Dales