Runtime Error 1004???

  1. #1
    kewlrunnings
    Guest

    Runtime Error 1004???

    I have the following code in a module saved as an Add-in. I wanted this
    add-in to be activated everytime an excel file is open. When I run this code
    while a file is open in the VBA editor, the code works fine. But when I open
    a file, the error "Worksheets of object global failed 1004" pops up. I
    removed the "Worksheets("data").activate" line to see if it would run but
    then the error msg reads "Columns of object global failed 1004". I then
    removed the first call hide_cols() and the error msg reads "Cells of object
    global failed 1004". I've been searching for clues on the web still cant get
    it to work. Any suggestions or help would be greatly apprectiated thanks.

    Sub Auto_open()

    Worksheets("Data").Activate

    Call Hide_cols
    Call Format_cols
    Call Filter_SM
    Call Page_Setup

    End Sub
    Sub Hide_cols()

    Dim i As Integer

    For i = 26 To 1 Step -1
    If (i <> 2) And (i <> 3) And (i <> 5) And (i <> 6) And (i <> 9) And (i <>
    15) And (i <> 24) Then
    Columns(i).Select
    Selection.EntireColumn.Hidden = True
    End If
    Next i

    End Sub

    Sub Format_cols()

    Cells(1, "X").Value = "SsC"
    Cells(1, "O").Value = "SL"
    Cells(1, "E").Value = "AWS"
    Cells(1, "I").Value = "BOH"
    Cells(1, "AA").Value = "Pickbin"
    Cells(1, "AB").Value = "SGF"
    Cells(1, "AC").Value = "Diff+/-"
    Range("E1:AC1").HorizontalAlignment = xlHAlignCenter
    Cells(1, "AC").Font.Bold = True

    With Worksheets("Data")
    .Columns("O").NumberFormat = "00-00-00"
    .Columns("B").AutoFit
    .Columns("E").AutoFit
    .Columns("O").AutoFit
    .Columns("X").AutoFit
    .Columns("I").AutoFit
    .Columns("AA:AC").ColumnWidth = 9
    .Columns("C").ColumnWidth = 39.3
    End With

    End Sub

    Sub Filter_SM()

    Columns("F").AutoFilter Field:=1, Criteria1:=">=2"
    Columns("F").Select
    Selection.EntireColumn.Hidden = True

    End Sub

    Sub Page_Setup()

    With Worksheets("Data").PageSetup
    .CenterHeader = Format(Now(), "mmmm dd, yyyy")
    .RightHeader = "page &p"
    .CenterHorizontally = True
    .Zoom = 125
    .Orientation = xlLandscape
    .PrintGridlines = True
    .LeftMargin = Application.InchesToPoints(0.75)
    .RightMargin = Application.InchesToPoints(0.75)
    .TopMargin = Application.InchesToPoints(0.51)
    .BottomMargin = Application.InchesToPoints(0.35)
    .HeaderMargin = Application.InchesToPoints(0.2)
    .FooterMargin = Application.InchesToPoints(0.2)
    .PrintTitleRows = ActiveSheet.Rows(1).Address

    End With

    End Sub

  2. #2
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    RE: Runtime Error 1004???

    The code you have is actually a long way from doing what you want to do...
    Let me know if this is what you want. Every time that a workbook is opened it
    checks for a sheet called Data. If that sheet exists then it reformats that
    sheet as per your existing macros?

    Just so we are on the same page that can be done but there is no undo after
    a macro runs so any sheet called "data" will be reformatted, whether doing so
    is appropriate or not.
    --
    HTH...

    Jim Thomlinson

  3. #3
    George Nicholson
    Guest

    Re: Runtime Error 1004???

    Using Cells, Range or Columns properties without specifying a worksheet is
    probably the primary cause of your 1004 errors. Your code assumes that Excel
    will "know" you mean the ActiveSheet. Object assumptions like that are the
    primary cause of 1004's. In this case Cells, Range and Columns are all
    properties of more than one object (Application, Worksheet and Range). Excel
    needs to know which one you intend.

    HTH,
    --
    George Nicholson

    Remove 'Junk' from return address.

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    kewlrunnings
    Guest

    RE: Runtime Error 1004???

    Yea thats exactly what i want it todo. Also I need to put in an "if"
    statement for activeworksheet.path so the add-in only formats excel files in
    a particular folder. Thanks for your reply....

  5. #5
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    RE: Runtime Error 1004???

    Here is some code for you to try. It just fires a message box when the
    approprite file has been opened. You can modify it to deal with your data
    sheet... If you need help reply back...

    Create a blank workbook. In the code window add a class module. Name the
    Class module clsXLEvents. Place this code in the class module.

    Option Explicit
    Private WithEvents xlApp As Excel.Application
    Private Const SHEETNAME As String = "Data"
    Private Const APPPATH As String = "C:\Test"

    Private Sub Class_Initialize()
    Set xlApp = Excel.Application
    End Sub

    Private Sub xlApp_WorkbookOpen(ByVal WB As Workbook)
    If SheetExists(SHEETNAME, WB) And WB.Path = APPPATH Then
    MsgBox "Tada"

    Private Function SheetExists(SName As String, _
    Optional ByVal WB As Workbook) As Boolean
    On Error Resume Next
    If WB Is Nothing Then Set WB = ThisWorkbook
    SheetExists = CBool(Len(WB.Sheets(SName).Name))
    End Function

    Now in the thisworkbook module add the following code...
    Option Explicit
    Dim OpenEvent As clsXLEvents

    Private Sub Workbook_AddinInstall()
    Set OpenEvent = New clsXLEvents
    End Sub

    Private Sub Workbook_AddinUninstall()
    Set OpenEvent = Nothing
    End Sub

    Private Sub Workbook_Open()

  6. #6
    kewlrunnings
    Guest

    RE: Runtime Error 1004???

    Thanks Jim works perfect!! As you can tell iam a beginner at VBA. I have a
    couple books but show nothing on what you've done. Clearly Iam far from what
    i wanna be capable with the VBA tool in excel. Can you recommend any reading
    material for advanced VBA stuff. Thanks again!!