Find Contents of Cell (Macro) - Help me!

  1. #1

    Question Find Contents of Cell (Macro) - Help me!

    Hi,

    Could anyone please help me with the following problem:

    I want to write a macro that will find the contents of the cell currently highlighted on another sheet. For example:

    Dog
    Cat
    Sheep

    the cell highlighted is cat, so i want to find cat on another sheet. Another time it is sheep, so I want to find that.

    I can't work out how to do this, so any help would be fantastic.

    Thanks so much!

    Will

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Find Contents of Cell (Macro) - Help me!

    Worksheets("Sheet2").activecell

    RP

    "MrMerton" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    RE: Find Contents of Cell (Macro) - Help me!

    I am just a shade unclear. Do you want to Highlight a value on sheet 1 (the
    active sheet) and look up that value on sheet 2 (the non active sheet) or do
    you want to return the highlighted value from sheet 2 (the non active sheet)
    to sheet 1 (the acive sheet {Bob's Solution})
    --
    HTH...

    Jim Thomlinson

  4. #4

    Unhappy

    Hi,

    I want to highlight the text within a box on the active sheet and find that text anywhere (or within a range) on the inactive sheet.

    I have tried recording a macro for it (i'm not very good with VBA) but either can't paste the cell's value into the find box or if I go into the cell and copy and paste the text into the find box it does the exact same search everytime.

    Thanks a lot!

    Will

  5. #5
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Find Contents of Cell (Macro) - Help me!

    What do you men by a box on the active sheet?

  6. #6
    Sorry, I'm really not being clear. I want to write a macro that copys the text within a cell and then finds that text on another work sheet.

    So, two work sheets, one with a list of names, the other which contains a great big database of names. I want to find the names from the first sheet on the second sheet and highlight the cells on the second sheet red if they match.

    Does that make sense?

    Any help very greatfully received!

    Will

  7. #7
    Jana
    Guest

    Re: Find Contents of Cell (Macro) - Help me!

    MrMerton:

    Try the solution for my posting entitled "Find Cell Contents on Another
    Sheet in Workbook" in this group. Although you CAN use a macro, the
    formula is much easier to use. You should be able to use conditional
    formatting based on the output of the formula to highlight the cells
    for you.

    Here's the link, but I don't know how to make it a hyperlink for you.

    http://groups.google.com/group/micro...6bb05072d4155f

    Good luck!

  8. #8
    Kalehm
    Guest

    Re: Find Contents of Cell (Macro) - Help me!

    Hi. I have the same problem. What I need is that I have a serie of # in a
    row and in the first row I have a cell that I wrote a # and with Vlookup I
    can know in what row is that #. Now what I want is to create a macro so when
    I press it it will take me to that row where that # is. Can anybuddy help me
    with this??